Mask Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
I had a coach just yesterday-tell me a mask causes more danger to the pitcher than if she was wearing on. Obstructs view etc. He said studies prove it. Does anyone know of any such studies?

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
I am the parent. I have to respect his role and challenging him will do my DD no good. This is HS ball where my participation is that of an observer.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I had a coach just yesterday-tell me a mask causes more danger to the pitcher than if she was wearing on. Obstructs view etc. He said studies prove it. Does anyone know of any such studies?

No, because they don't exist. May have been somewhat true for the very early versions of the fielding masks, but the current rip-it/schutt masks have excellent vision

Just another blowhard, macho idiot just like the ones who still make the catcher rip their hockey-style helmet off every time so they can "see better".

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am the parent. I have to respect his role and challenging him will do my DD no good. This is HS ball where my participation is that of an observer.

You = Parent. If you want your DD to wear a mask or your DD wants to wear a mask, then she wears a mask. The HS coach isn't paying your dental bills or the cost of fixing a broken orbital bone.

May 13, 2012
Respect or other wise, he is coach and you are the parent. When it comes to saftey the parents have to take the lead. Rumor has that HS coach doesn't belive in masks, my DD will be in HS nxt yr . I have made it clear to her (DD) that we (Mom and Dad) are the ones that paid for the the braces, we want her vision and face intact. We can and will pull her from game if we catch her on mound or corner with out it. Does it sound harsh probably so, but the fact is I havn't seen or heard of a mask being a greater risk than not having mask or can I see any way that it could. Bottom line no mask no play on corner or mound. Can a bad hop or knuckle ball off the bat mash her in the face in outfield, yes. But the corners and mound can present a sitiuation where reaction time is almost zero, and skill level can have very minium effect of the outcome. Someone posted a link a while back that had some rather graphic images as to what a softball can do to the face and mouth. I prefer not to have the ability to post pics of DD saying a mask could have prevented this.

I read on her where parents pay money for hitting and pitching lessons and then tell coach to leave those skills alone so why would you as a parent not tell a coach to leave what we pay for (mask,heart guard,etc) alone. If the coach doesnt know a bunt from a grand slam so be it but saftey is whole different issue.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Since this question has come up in the past many times, I have been researching this topic for the last 4 months just for my own edification. The only studies I could find were studies on the old style catchers mask used in baseball and if it's better to have them on or not when catching a pop-up. That may be what the coaches are citing. They concluded that the mask does limit visibility. There are no studies that I'm aware of or could find about modern day fielding masks. However, I did find numerous articles from players being injured and are now pushing for fielding masks being made mandatory at all levels. I have also found numerous articles about players that would've been severely injured had they not been wearing a mask. The odds of a player being hit, according to several articles that I've found, are much better than most people realize. A player will be hit by a batted ball for every 50 games played on average. This doesn't necessarily mean in the head, it could be a bad hop that's misread and it hits your SS in the chest. The more I study this topic, the more I am adamant about DD wearing hers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1