Main Flaw in Most Flawed Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
that's why I said the shoulders rotate back more.

muscles have to stretch :)

its the effect of the upper body going back and the lower body going forward

well not exactly same but an easy way to understand it :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
that's why I said the shoulders rotate back more.

muscles have to stretch :)

its the effect of the upper body going back and the lower body going forward

well not exactly same but an easy way to understand it :)

Cool we are on the same page. Check out noontimebaseball.com that is where I got the gif. There is more beats going to youtube. Also easier to forward to students or team members.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Dizco what you are referring to is "separation" it can be achieved in 2 ways although mostly only 1 of them is ever taught to baseball players

baseball players generally rotate there shoulder back leaving there hips more in tact (They will rotate both but tend to rotate shoulders more)

that way at toe touch hips will have a slight head start on the shoulders (Shoulders will start rotation at heel strike)

I teach girls a little different but still achieving the same effect

I have my girls employ a "no Stride Swing"

they will leave there shoulders open but "Rotate there hips back pulling there front foot off the heel up on their toe"

they will achieve the same effect but it makes timing a "Less reaction time Pitch" easier and also enables them to keep there front shoulders and eyes still and down till swing launch

:)

lexihighhandsgif-M.gif

This is where i start also, the stretch pulls their front foot up, and barrel launch plants the foot.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
It is my opinion that the main flaw in flawed swing, which most are, is the absence of what Cabrera is doing to initiate his swing, or not doing it as well as he does. He's moving that bat quite a bit prior to his hands going forward.

I frequently see girls who have a "chipper" swing, in that they launch directly downward toward the point of contact from their ready position. I see it all the time in many travelball players. So, for me, if I were to choose a main focus of hitting practice, it would definitely be a focus on what you see Cabrera do in this clip. Pay particular attention to what's happening to the hands. Of course, everything else he's doing here ties in.

Yup, what he does to initiate the "C" likely has a lot to do with why he seen as such a model hitter.

The conversations about separation are interesting but take us away from Doug's initial post in this thread. This seems to be one of the hardest teaches to translate to game swings. Many girls seem to want to reach out and go get the ball instead of working (rotating/turning) the barrel behind the ball using this move. The flatter (more horizontal) the barrel is at set up/launch the more difficult this move seems to be.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I think the main flaw is balance at set up, and the sequence is off.
If you don't fix that to start (first) then no other part of the swing will be consistent.

That is why I teach throwing first. (I also do fielding techniques at the same time) .
We work on the stretch, and the sequence. Example: like landing on a flexed front knee when you throw. If it is stiff legged early in the throw, it will be early in the swing. So we start to fix the sequence of hitting when you teach proper throwing mechanics.
The good thing is they become better throwers, and make more positions on the team

Straightleg

Jan 14, 2015
I think the main flaw is balance at set up, and the sequence is off.
If you don't fix that to start (first) then no other part of the swing will be consistent.

That is why I teach throwing first. (I also do fielding techniques at the same time) .
We work on the stretch, and the sequence. Example: like landing on a flexed front knee when you throw. If it is stiff legged early in the throw, it will be early in the swing. So we start to fix the sequence of hitting when you teach proper throwing mechanics.
The good thing is they become better throwers, and make more positions on the team

Straightleg

I'm seeing more and more references to throwing in the hitting forums. Is it helpful to corelate the throwing sequence to the hitting sequence?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I'm seeing more and more references to throwing in the hitting forums. Is it helpful to corelate the throwing sequence to the hitting sequence?

I teach everyone to throw first, just like Howard Carrier does.
If they step stiff leg throwing, they will hitting.
If they short arm the throw, they short arm the hit sequence.

Watch your daughters throw, look for flaws. It might surprise you they have the same kinks in the hitting sequence.
I work with many girls, easy to see, since Howard pointed it out to me many years ago.

If you don't know who Howard is he was Team China's hitting coach in past Olympics and is one of Bustos's hitting coaches. Nice that he only lives 40 minutes from me.

Straightleg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles