Johnny Manziel documentary

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If your DD has aspirations for playing in college, this is a must see. The main take away is that lots of people were involved in the disaster. Parents have to look out for their children because there is no guarantee anyone else will.

The basic story is that a college freshman (who appears to be an alcoholic) was allowed to do anything he wanted.

Manziel was 19YOA in college. The Tex A&M coaches didn't care what he did as long as he won games. They knew he had a drinking problem and did nothing.

Texas A&M made millions and did nothing. They didn't care about his classes or grades as long as he was putting up Ws.

The NCAA knew that Manziel was out of control and did nothing because he was selling tickets.

His agent helped hide his problem from the NFL so that he could get his cut.

Where were his parents? My guess is that they were experiencing the "my child is a great athlete" high and ignored obvious warning. They also enabled a lot of behavior by participating in cover ups for his behavior.

Parents have to actively monitor their child's education. Do not assume that the coach will do it.

(Surprisingly, he didn't like playing football. He liked winning, but didn't care for the game.)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If your DD has aspirations for playing in college, this is a must see. The main take away is that lots of people were involved in the disaster. Parents have to look out for their children because there is no guarantee anyone else will.

The basic story is that a college freshman (who appears to be an alcoholic) was allowed to do anything he wanted.

Manziel was 19YOA in college. The Tex A&M coaches didn't care what he did as long as he won games. They knew he had a drinking problem and did nothing.

Texas A&M made millions and did nothing. They didn't care about his classes or grades as long as he was putting up Ws.

The NCAA knew that Manziel was out of control and did nothing because he was selling tickets.

His agent helped hide his problem from the NFL so that he could get his cut.

Where were his parents? My guess is that they were experiencing the "my child is a great athlete" high and ignored obvious warning. They also enabled a lot of behavior by participating in cover ups for his behavior.

Parents have to actively monitor their child's education. Do not assume that the coach will do it.

(Surprisingly, he didn't like playing football. He liked winning, but didn't care for the game.)
The 30 for 30 on Chris Herren tells a similar story but it starts much earlier than college (as I am sure it did for Manziel).. and I had a front row seat to the whole mess.

Nov 5, 2014
The 30 for 30 on Chris Herren tells a similar story but it starts much earlier than college (as I am sure it did for Manziel).. and I had a front row seat to the whole mess.
Fall River Dreams was incredible, couldn't put it down. If I remember I stayed up til like 4am and finished it the day I got it almost 30 years ago. Highly recommend it to those that didn't have a front row seat.

Jun 8, 2016
Fall River Dreams was incredible, couldn't put it down. If I remember I stayed up til like 4am and finished it the day I got it almost 30 years ago. Highly recommend it to those that didn't have a front row seat.
Bill Reynolds (the author) just passed away.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
I’m torn between where I feel the real failure lies in this situation and to me as a parent that’s the where. The coaches and the ncaa didn’t help and should have been the safety net but they weren’t his parent. The coaches job is to win games. The coach gets fired if they don’t win games. Nobody cares if they’re turning out good humans if they don’t win games. We can all hope for a coach that also cares about his/her players and finds a way to do both but the reality for college football coaches especially in big conferences is winning is all that matters. The whole situation is just sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
The coaches job is to win games.
I disagree, and these are two things that parents who have not been around college softball say. The coaches #1 job is to NOT bring unfavorable attention to the university. It is to keep donors happy. It is to not cause problems.
The coach gets fired if they don’t win games.
Nope. This is almost NEVER why college softball coaches get fired. They get fired for doing squirrelly stuff with students- but only if it gets really bad. And someone finds out. They get fired for controversy. They get fired for getting the colleges name in the paper in an unfavorable light.

It’s easy to fire a coach. It’s hard to replace them. Athletic directors know this.

Aug 5, 2022
I was speaking of football coaches specifically in this context. I will agree with your statement about the donors but in college football specifically winning makes a lot of happy donors. In non revenue sports like softball I’d also agree that some of the intangibles like avoiding negative publicity etc become more important but in big time men’s programs of football and basketball it seems at least from the outside that winning is the priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles