Just too hot.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
Here in the KC area we routinely play the end of June, beginning of July, in 100-105 heat index and the same in September. The key is to get the players to start hydrating 24 hours before they are to play and to keep hydrating during the games. We tell the girls if you think you have had enough to drink, drink more.

We have our team drink Gatorade style drinks the night before, tell them to have carbs the night before and proteins the day of the game. Game day we want them to drink water and more water. We have had a girl have heat issues twice and that was because the first time she did not start hydrating the day before and the second time because her parents let her go to the pool early in the day and she didn't drink anything while at the pool.

The parents go down a lot more often than the girls.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, do not claim to be one, this is the internet and if you are here for medical advice you get what you pay for. However, this is what has worked for us.

Jul 25, 2015
Acclimation causes most players' issues when it comes to dealing with heat. Certainly hydration plays a VERY important part and without it a heat injury is almost a certainty. However, most kids are in a climate controlled environment most of the time during the week leading up to a tournament and then spend the better part of two days outside in the heat. Even most practices are conducted in the evening while most games are played during the day. Along with hydration, if the players will get outside and exercise during the heat of the day, it will pay dividends - you have to build up to it but even 15 minutes exercising in the heat will help. It also helps if coaches will schedule their weekend practices somewhere between 9:00 and 3:00 when it is feasible to do so. At least by doing that most girls will have a very good idea of what to expect AND the coaches will have a very good idea of who might not be hydrating properly or who will have issues with the heat.

Sodas, tea, coffee, energy drinks, and even drinking too many sports drinks can create issues as well. I always loved to hear from a player "I drank like 15 Gatorades" when she is having issues with the heat.

Oct 22, 2009
Even the pools get too hot. Well, not so much the water, but the concrete surrounding it. The parent this morning said that her flip flops melted yesterday, while she was in the pool. It is great to swim in the mornings or in the evenings.

My pool is 93 degrees.:cool:

Oct 22, 2009
Acclimation causes most players' issues when it comes to dealing with heat. Certainly hydration plays a VERY important part and without it a heat injury is almost a certainty. However, most kids are in a climate controlled environment most of the time during the week leading up to a tournament and then spend the better part of two days outside in the heat. Even most practices are conducted in the evening while most games are played during the day. Along with hydration, if the players will get outside and exercise during the heat of the day, it will pay dividends - you have to build up to it but even 15 minutes exercising in the heat will help. It also helps if coaches will schedule their weekend practices somewhere between 9:00 and 3:00 when it is feasible to do so. At least by doing that most girls will have a very good idea of what to expect AND the coaches will have a very good idea of who might not be hydrating properly or who will have issues with the heat.

Sodas, tea, coffee, energy drinks, and even drinking too many sports drinks can create issues as well. I always loved to hear from a player "I drank like 15 Gatorades" when she is having issues with the heat.

When my DD was in college she had a summer workout given to her by her coach. She had to run 3 miles in the HEAT OF THE DAY. While she was running in TX, she was quietly cursing the Canadian player.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Yeah Amy, my DD's 2nd MS practice in Tucson was cancelled last Friday because of an "extreme heat warning." My DD and a couple of her teammates that play TB said "this isn't hot compared to playing 5 games in a day in Phoenix." Regardless, I checked the Arizona Interscholastic Association rules and it has a whole section of heat stuff. Turns out during the 1st 8 or so days of practices, teams that wear helmets (football, softball, baseball) can't practice over certain ambient temperatures until the "acclimation period" is over.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Thank you, So.AZDad. I am preparing cold sponges for Tuesdays practice at Riverfront. I have to practice the 12U team, in someone's absence. Shade helps 100%. I would have no problem with girls throwing, on the grass, with some shade. I don't think that you can prepare. My problem Sunday morning was that I drank my usual coffee and then, thought "Oh, no."

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Thank you, So.AZDad. I am preparing cold sponges for Tuesdays practice at Riverfront. I have to practice the 12U team, in someone's absence. Shade helps 100%. I would have no problem with girls throwing, on the grass, with some shade. I don't think that you can prepare. My problem Sunday morning was that I drank my usual coffee and then, thought "Oh, no."

If you're working out an OVFP rec league team, there's a quick-release sprinkler head in the batting cage. Coaches and Managers have the combo, so maybe you could get someone to spray the dirt and cool it off a bit. The valve is behind the pitchers plate in the circle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles