Just too hot.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2015
Not trying to hijack the thread...but when I saw "my daughter doesn't do heat well" above it made me think of my own DD. So much so that this season we (coaches) are going to start working on nutrition and my our goal is for all players to eat and hydrate better allowing them to handle the heat. Any thoughts on what from and eating and drinking perspective helps players handle the heat better?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Great story JAD...reminded me of my first trip to Arizona, got out of the air conditioned car in a very large parking lot at Intel. I was parked about 60 yards from the entrance. I got out of the car, took a breath and got back in the car. I then did a very real calculation on whether or not I could die of dehydration during my 60 yard trek. I decided I could handle it but I took a bottle of water just in case.

PS- to this day I still wonder how/why the city of Phoenix was founded. Did settlers really stop there and take in the view of sun baked nothingness and say to themselves "this feels like home"?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I once had a job interview in Tuscon. Their main selling point was the city wasn't as hot as Phoenix. They flew me in for an interview in early March, when the Tuscon weather was perfect, and it would compare well with the long Wisconsin winter.

There was a reason why Frank Lloyd Wright spent winters in Tuscon but summers in Wisconsin.

Jun 12, 2015
I'll take winter over summer any day, but really I'd rather just alternate between spring and fall.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Add 80-100% humidity to 100+ degrees...that is what we had for the better of first 2 weeks of August. Finally let up last week and this week with rain. Oh yeah, this area is in full swing with softball tryouts (this past weekend being the tail end of it...some wrapping up this next weekend). Needless to say, my kids stayed indoors...except my oldest son...who had to practice HS football from 730 - 1130 every Mon - Friday for 2 weeks straight. He passed out on the couch for most of the afternoon every day. LOL.

Sep 29, 2014
I'm originally from Texas and transplanted in Connecticut, this is exactly why a laugh at everyone around here who laments how hot the summer is, I don't think it has hit 90 even one day....ah New Englanders

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I grew up in Arkansas, and DD 1 was born in Arkansas. My other 3 kids were born in NYC.

One time a team had practice when it was about 100. I made DD 1 go, reminding her of where she was born. The summer after her birth was a huge El Niño year to boot. She and the coach's DD were the only girls there. A few days later their opponents forfeited a DH rather than play at 95 degrees.

The next year DD 3 played on a TB team with a coach who grew up in the South. She made sure the kids got acclimated to the heat. They won a tourney when the other team's pitcher almost fainted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut