Is this the key to the MLB hitting "process"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
Great Analysis.... Very Helpful ! I only wish I wouldn't have said "If you got a minute" but rather if you got the time. I can see that this could take you much more than a minute...and me days to comprehend ! Thx Again !

Do you think adding the forward "Tip-n-Rip" would be a good start for his correction? Just a simple Yes or No... I know it is was just kinda foolishness, me adding it. I can see that you would be a very busy man. I'm really wanting to know if you like the TnR...

Well, the answer is maybe. He may be able to eliminate the massive external rotation of his rear arm with it, but there's a chance that he wouldn't as well. I like the TnR a lot. If you don't come out of it properly it's worthless.

Kemp high level pattern?

HamiltonHRDerby.gif

MKempSnF2012.gif

I've got Kemp in the Harper mold of out athletic-ing the game. Now, harper seems to have made some changes but the only clip I have from spring training is not a good angle...so I'm going to reserve judgement on that.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Kemp as high level.

I know my buddy Teacherman has been ripping me in HI, which is fine. He also talked about a phone booth on a conveyer belt...but hey, I've never seen that either.

I don't think momentum powers the swing, but I think it sure helps. When you take that freedom out of a kid's swing you lose so much athleticism and you'll be stuck talking about 'wringing the rag, turning the triangle, separation in the rear hip socket (which by the way if it REALLY HAPPENED would require surgery to fix) and a bunch of confused glossy eyed kids who couldn't hit (seen in person at a Teacherman Clinic).

There is a difference between Identification, Explanation, and Teaching. I'm just stuck on what I saw in person which was undoubtably the worst clinic I've ever seen, in which every kid there was stolen from...

That being said, I love the Kinsler Swing posted earlier but both upton boys are more athletes just being athletic and overcoming their technical flaws.

Sep 17, 2009
Funny you compare Kemp (which you don't like) and Kinsler (which you do). I thought they both (after Kinsler does his toe tap) look largely the same, and exemplify swings without momentun/in a phone booth. I even went so far to look up their sizes -- Kinsler is 6ft 200 / Kemp 6.3ft 225 (probably a bit bigger) to see if those very compact mechanics would work on guys with different sizes (not that Kinsler isn't strong--he is).

Anyway, what don't you like about Kemp's swing. Hard to have probably the most successful six weeks in baseball history like he recently did and not be "high level."

TKS.

MKempSnF2012.gif

Kinsler3.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I've got Kemp in the Harper mold of out athletic-ing the game. Now, harper seems to have made some changes but the only clip I have from spring training is not a good angle...so I'm going to reserve judgement on that.

I know my buddy Teacherman has been ripping me in HI, which is fine. He also talked about a phone booth on a conveyer belt...but hey, I've never seen that either.

I don't think momentum powers the swing, but I think it sure helps. When you take that freedom out of a kid's swing you lose so much athleticism and you'll be stuck talking about 'wringing the rag, turning the triangle, separation in the rear hip socket (which by the way if it REALLY HAPPENED would require surgery to fix) and a bunch of confused glossy eyed kids who couldn't hit (seen in person at a Teacherman Clinic).

There is a difference between Identification, Explanation, and Teaching. I'm just stuck on what I saw in person which was undoubtably the worst clinic I've ever seen, in which every kid there was stolen from...

That being said, I love the Kinsler Swing posted earlier but both upton boys are more athletes just being athletic and overcoming their technical flaws.

Only gif I have right now of Harper
HarperSide.gif

MKempSnF2012.gif

Just to be clear. You don't like Kemp and Harper because of 'athletic-ing the game' and you don't like teaching 'wringing the rag, turning the triangle, separation in the rear hip socket. By teaching this it will remove the 'freedom out of a kid's swing you lose so much athleticism'
I'm confused on what you are teaching the kids. To just be athletic or not?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012

Kemp is tremendously athletic, but he has a very good swing. His athleticism complements his swing and allows him to put up the ridiculous numbers he puts up. On the other hand, Harper continues to "out-athlete" the competition. As pitchers adjust, his numbers will go down. I'd be very surprised if he hits over .250 this year.

The term "hip socket separation" is one you hate; I don't blame you. It's a feel term, and if you haven't felt it, it sounds like it's dislocation. I believe that the feeling is the result of tension being applied to ligaments. That's what the "separation" really is. It feels like you're going to rip the head of the femur off when you're doing it correctly, though there's no risk of that happening.

Turning the triangle is part of creating a deep barrel path. On your website, you often say things like "deep barrel path." If you don't turn the triangle, you don't create a deep barrel path.

Nov 29, 2011
Personally, I think the Kemp & Kinsler swings will not be very effective with the girls. They do not have the upper body strength as the boys (back & triceps). I would caution against excessive momentum though, as the body will be going to fast to make adjustments. I think Granderson & Upton show sufficient momentum that will work for the female.

There is always exceptions, as I know some of these girls are amazingly strong, but for 95% there needs to be a small linear shift.

kemp
Kemp_side.gif

granderson
Granderson_side.gif

upton
JUpton_2012_side2.gif

kinsler
Kinsler_side.gif

It's not about avoiding forward movement before swinging. It's about not needing forward momentum to power the swing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi