Is this the key to the MLB hitting "process"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
bautistaside_zpsd68a2818.gif

bautistalowright_zpsbb8227e9.gif

Jan 13, 2012
I would avoid using Harper as an example of anything outside of how an exceptional athlete can overcome poor mechanics. His swing isn't high level.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I was commenting on closeness His swing has to be 2-3 feet more compact then the others. I would like to hear a couple things un-high level about it, if you got a min...

Jan 13, 2012
I was commenting on closeness His swing has to be 2-3 feet more compact then the others. I would like to hear a couple things un-high level about it, if you got a min...

Sorry, didn't see this until tonight. Harper has a very long, very powerful swing. His main issues arise in his hand and arm action. While his leg does turn the hip, it doesn't provide energy to the hands. Harper has an "up and over" arm action, in which he externally rotates the rear arm to a massive degree. In high-level swings, the rear arm's action is adduction and some supination, not external rotation. It is not caused by the rear arm.

Harper's "up and over" automatically forfeits any stretch he had and forces him to push/pull with his rear and lead arms respectively. He loses the scapula's retraction (active or inactive... it doesn't really matter for the purposes of description). Harper's speed (some call this whoosh) is out front. High level hitters have it deep. Sometimes they will give it up to hit the ball, but it's rarely seen. Usually it only occurs if the hitter is fooled (and even then he/she can adjust and have the speed behind him/her).

I hope that answers your question. I'll summarize briefly for you, in the event that I rambled a bit:

Harper has MAJOR external rotation of the rear arm; high-level hitters don't.
Harper's speed is out front; high level hitters have it deep 99% of the time.
Harper pushes and pulls with his arms; high level hitters do not.
Harper has no connection to the lower body; high level hitters do
Harper's lead arm does not "jut" at contact (this is a good visual checkpoint to determine if a player is pulling the knob)

Hope that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi