Down the rabbit hole I go…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bat Trac

DFP Vendor
Jun 21, 2023
Well, it looks like you posted her swing while I was posting. Her swing is much better than I thought. She seems to be counter-rotated or wrapped too much, which is common off the tee. Try having her get set up looking out at an imaginary pitcher and just shift her eyes to the tee when hitting, keeping her shoulders more square to the plate and her head looking towards the pitcher. Let's see how she looks with that. Hopefully, you can share a swing of a live pitch, too, sometime.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I agree with being better than I thought. Turn in back foot to restrict over counter rotation and a MUCH wider stance at launch.
Also short bat one arm drills.

May 13, 2023
She’s B level travel but really has goals playing through college. She does work outside of practice, but hitting hasn’t been addressed as much. We hit the cages when our schedules allow and I’ve got the tee set in the basement for winter. She’s ready to put in work on her own. But until she knows what’s wrong and how to fix it, it’s going to be pointless.

Her coaches have a lot of “fast hands” “quick bat” as feedback during games. Practices are closed to parents so I don’t get the full picture of what’s happening in there.

I’ve told her to start watching college and AU women and try to emulate their stance to find something that feels right-I used to emulate lots of MLB hitters stances as a kid playing with my buddies. 😁
B level player,
Deciding to have a goal,
"She does work out side of practice but hitting hasn't been addressed as much"
You have a tee station set up,
" she's ready to put in the work"

Time to
➡️Put in the work!
That should bring some productivity. As to fixing, Everybody has to fine tune along the way.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Watching again. She never really reaches extension. Front arm kind of collapses. Front arm one handed tee work with short bat will help.
PS. I think extension is often an over teach and should just be a result of swinging hard with good mechanics.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I’m very excited to read on through the hitting section of the forum. My 13u has really struggled and I feel she’s been getting bad advice. Specifically, I feel the coaches are trying solve for bad mechanics instead of teaching good mechanics. I’ve been watching videos non-stop and reading opinions. I plan to try drills with her to find what works. Hopefully I don’t swing and miss. 😉
Congrats on the jumping in.. I'd say keep it simple with the changes that you introduce in her swing. No two batters are the same, and it's not your job to make a cookie cutter swing for your DD. Pick something simple that you would like her swing to achieve based upon the sound advice that many from here give and work together to achieve that.

I think I made the mistake of trying too many things at once, especially for her age, and got frustrated. I backed off for a while and let her natural swing come back and then started over smoothing out the things that needed work. This process is great fun, stay engaged here and enjoy the ride!

Here's a gif of the very first post that I posted here in 2016 (?) and the last is a picture of last years HS season. She's a senior now and will play in college, time goes fast! Make sure to look up sometimes

11zwa4.gif

ANHS HR seq2.jpeg

Jul 1, 2022
Congrats on the jumping in.. I'd say keep it simple with the changes that you introduce in her swing. No two batters are the same, and it's not your job to make a cookie cutter swing for your DD. Pick something simple that you would like her swing to achieve based upon the sound advice that many from here give and work together to achieve that.

I think I made the mistake of trying too many things at once, especially for her age, and got frustrated. I backed off for a while and let her natural swing come back and then started over smoothing out the things that needed work. This process is great fun, stay engaged here and enjoy the ride!

Here's a gif of the very first post that I posted here in 2016 (?) and the last is a picture of last years HS season. She's a senior now and will play in college, time goes fast! Make sure to look up sometimes

View attachment 29374

View attachment 29375
Agree with making one mechanical fix at a time. Too many times coaches try to overhaul the swing and then it's a mess.

Also definitely take charge of your child's swing development. I wouldn't let some random coaches teach her whatever. Girls are very coachable and imo male coaches tend to mansplain swing mechanics to girls more vs boys which is why you see softball players having very similar looking swings but the boys are allowed to have retain their own natural style or imitate their favorite MLB player. This is even worse when the coach is teaching the wrong thing to your daughter.

If I couldn't see how they're coaching my daughter's swing I would get her private lessons and let her coaches know not to mess with her swing.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2022
I appreciate all the kind words and motivation to work with her. This kid WANTS to succeed. She is definitely willing to put in the work. Im glad feedback so far is that it isn’t too terrible. I don’t want to overhaul her swing. I really want her to be comfortable at the plate instead of stressed. Reps reps reps!

Aug 20, 2017
She needs to learn to get the knob working up quicker. It goes down for a long time and the turns to the right. Here is a simple drill that will help her path and get her hands working up sooner

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I appreciate all the kind words and motivation to work with her. This kid WANTS to succeed. She is definitely willing to put in the work. Im glad feedback so far is that it isn’t too terrible. I don’t want to overhaul her swing. I really want her to be comfortable at the plate instead of stressed. Reps reps reps!
Mechanics are important and just as important is approach which includes having a relaxed focus ( slow heart beat), being confident, and in the present. And there are ways to work on the mental side of the hitting, too.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Mechanics are important and just as important is approach which includes having a relaxed focus ( slow heart beat), being confident, and in the present. And there are ways to work on the mental side of the hitting, too.
So true, some of the best hitting is done by having some absolute alpha queen confidence, regardless of the quality of the swing! That is especially true at younger to middle ages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles