Is this the key to the MLB hitting "process"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2013
Okay, I just discovered this site and it is making me re-evaluate my coaching philosophies.
My jaw dropped when I read the post stop squashing the bug.
I have coached a number of years including some very successful high school teams in PA and Las Vegas. (Last year made it to the PA state quarterfinals, lost 4-3 to team that went on to win the State Title). I have not fully decided yet if I am going to change my hitting instruction based on what I read so far but my mind is certainly open.
I have always taught to take a very soft step or no step at all, keeping most weight on back foot, and having the girls "hit the ball with their right knee, right hip" aka rotational hitting which does end with a squash the bug look. Their weight ends up equal on both feet, firm front side, and they are very balanced, which I am a big proponent of. Yes, I also teach the knob inside ball, bat lag, etc.
Here is my question for those that can help me: The biggest difference I am reading would be to take a heavier step, shifting weight forward, using the hips towards pitcher, and then still using the rotational swing, ending with all the weight on the front foot. Does this sound right? Is this the key to the so-called MLB hitting process as opposed to the pure rotational swing? I have been trying this and I do feel the extra momentum from the weight shift. But I do worry about how a good change up could screw up this style and the unbalance it may produce. Thanks for any responses.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Okay, I just discovered this site and it is making me re-evaluate my coaching philosophies.
I have coached a number of years including some very successful high school teams in PA and Las Vegas. (Last year made it to the PA state quarterfinals, lost 4-3 to team that went on to win the State Title). I have not fully decided yet if I am going to change my hitting instruction based on what I read so far but my mind is certainly open.
I have always taught to take a very soft step or no step at all, keeping most weight on back foot, and having the girls "hit the ball with their right knee, right hip" aka rotational hitting which does end with a squash the bug look. Their weight ends up equal on both feet, firm front side, and they are very balanced, which I am a big proponent of. Yes, I also teach the knob inside ball, bat lag, etc.
Here is my question for those that can help me: The biggest difference I am reading would be to take a heavier step, shifting weight forward, using the hips towards pitcher, and then still using the rotational swing, ending with all the weight on the front foot. Does this sound right? Is this the key to the so-called MLB hitting process as opposed to the pure rotational swing? I have been trying this and I do feel the extra momentum from the weight shift. But I do worry about how a good change up could screw up this style and the unbalance it may produce. Thanks for any responses.

A fellow PA high school softball coach! Welcome! What school? (I've been at Philipsburg-Osceola for the past 16 years, just starting at State College this year.)

I don't know about a MLB swing, but I think there is a lot to be learned from reading on here. I agree with hitting into a firm front side, but I think there's more than just unloading all the weight into the front foot. I wouldn't think of it in terms of landing on a heavier front foot. I would still say at toe touch/stride your weight is "back", but think of it as the hips and front side obliques are gathering tension or stretching while coiling, getting ready to resist the urge to uncoil at toe touch. Once you decide to swing or release the stretch and fire the front side obliques, the back side is being pulled by that front side, bringing the backside weight with it. It will transition from weight back, to weight in motion toward the pitch, to weight shifted to the front side.

The key to this is not to let the weight come so far forward that the head "drifts" forward. You still want the middle of your body to control the head, so that the head stays still, and the shoulders stay behind the hips, hips stay behind the front knee, front knee stays behind the front foot.

As for hitting the changeup, if you don't fire the front side, you can wait for the changeup to get to you. Easier said than done, but the mechanics of a weight-shifting-forward swing shouldn't interfere with a hitter's ability to hit the changeup. It just takes lots of practice!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Pa also. If your from my DD's school, I'll help you out. If your the competition, your on your own. Haha.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

Sorry, but run away! For every good piece of advice on here there are 10 posts that are more interested in snuffing it out. The tech forum has turned into an institution for the schizophrenic.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have always taught ... aka rotational hitting which does end with a squash the bug look.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by ''end with'' a squash the bug look? MLB hitters do ''end'' with a squash the bug ''look'' after contact, but they do not squash the bug (twist/pivot on the ball of the back foot) during the swing and to contact. They might end with weight returning to the ball of the back foot in a way that ''looks'' like squash the bug in real-time speed.

Beyond that, there are more knowledgeable hitting teachers than I, so I'd rather not try to answer your question. But I'll just relay a couple of thoughts.

One would be to look at the model swings thread in the technical hitting forum if you haven't. While not all of those swings are truly model swings (since you don't always get a fat pitch to perform like a model), I see very little prevalence of squash the bug in those college-fastpitch swings. Even less in MLB hitters. I doubt there will be anyone here who will defend or advocate squash the bug. But what to do about that w/ your team, that's a tougher question.

Second thought is that I would think it would be hard at the high school level to make major changes in a hitter's mechanics. You've got them for only 3 months, and you're talking older girls who've been swinging a certain way for years. I've never coached high school softball. I'm curious what how much improvement you are able to get. Coaching HS ball is a great challenge. I'm sure you do it well.

Feb 24, 2013
What am I thinking?!? dmasterson, please tell me that you're a single-A school! :)

Sorry, AA just like you. Fairview High School. We beat Greensburg CC 7-0, then lost to Neshannock 4-3, who won it all. Was it Deer Lakes that knocked you guys out, I can't remember?

I am still digesting what you wrote and not sure we would or should try to make the transition. So you could use that against us I suppose if we play each other. The problem is, rotational and all, we still hit pretty well. And, we all know, good pitching beats good hitting anyway. But if I can be sold that good, balanced, rotational hitting is definitely inferior to this new style then I could start teaching the younger kids that style. Thanks for the response.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Sorry, AA just like you. Fairview High School. We beat Greensburg CC 7-0, then lost to Neshannock 4-3, who won it all. Was it Deer Lakes that knocked you guys out, I can't remember?

I am still digesting what you wrote and not sure we would or should try to make the transition. So you could use that against us I suppose if we play each other. The problem is, rotational and all, we still hit pretty well. And, we all know, good pitching beats good hitting anyway. But if I can be sold that good, balanced, rotational hitting is definitely inferior to this new style then I could start teaching the younger kids that style. Thanks for the response.

You guys have a good program. We also lost to Neshannock in extra innings in the first round of states 5-3. I feel your pain.

I'm at AAAA now. However, I'll still hope you do well until you play P-O. :)

Knowing you're from Fairview (and I'll still be pulling for P-O), I'd recommend these mechanics to get ready for your season.

Best of luck in your season!

Mike

P.S. Use this for pre-season throwing practice. Just trying to help.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had to change what I was taught and what I was teaching. Mike Candrea was convinced and he changed, too. I am glad that you are considering changing.

Now, I try to remember that throwing is hitting. And I don't squish the bug, when I throw.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I would start with the feet first... looks like the "MLB process" and CB is being up on back toe, and on front foot at contact, and rolling to the back side, arch coming up as the bat goes on around for the follow thru... almost flying. I duck type a straw to DD's sock so she is aware of it. Getting ready to mount a dowel rod to an old pair of cleats so she can feel it on concrete. :{))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi