Is every rec-player a allstar?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Our ASA league tries to field two 12-player all-star teams (Gold and Silver) from each age division, if there are enough players. Near the end of the Spring season, the coaches nominate all-star candidates from their roster. Those players will then go through an evaluation/try-out to help the coaches determine which players will be on which team.
Ours is/was similar, although we had the girls nominate 4-5 from their team and the coach got to nominate 1 more. The girls were remarkably good about it.

My DD got the happy news yesterday that she has been nominated for 10U all-stars. :)
Congrats! Did SoCal ASA do away with their May 1 date this year for forming all-star teams?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ours is/was similar, although we had the girls nominate 4-5 from their team and the coach got to nominate 1 more. The girls were remarkably good about it.

Congrats! Did SoCal ASA do away with their May 1 date this year for forming all-star teams?

I guess so. Our league's all-star evaluation/try-out is May 3. The teams won't be settled until after then.

Feb 7, 2013
I guess so. Our league's all-star evaluation/try-out is May 3. The teams won't be settled until after then.

I don't think ASA did away with the May 1st requirement. You said "nominated" but not "picked" for the all-star team so I believe you are still within the rules. The actual teams will be formed after May 1st.

Mar 26, 2013
SoCal ASA still hasn't posted an updated Yellow Book on their website, so this is from page 17 of the 2013 edition on their website.

A) If the league selects an All‐Star Team, the All‐Star Team may not nominate, select, tryout, practice and/or play together before May 1 of the current year.

I heard they did away with the 4-player limit on playing travel ball after Feb 1, but haven't seen it in writing yet.

Feb 7, 2013
DD's league does it a little different. Any player can put their name in and then the managers vote for the all-star players during draft night the first week of May (even though the players have already been "chosen" weeks in advance with back room deals, etc.). The ugly side of youth sports..

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Ill bet you a ten-spot you will see way less drama on the B team, and the girls will have a blast. Even the one or two that think they got screwed can have a good time with the right coach and parents. Playing B, or even C all stars is a fantastic experience. My DD got to play on a bronze team as her first experience, and its still one of the best times we can remember. You need to take the emphasis off phrases like "good enough".
Coachbob I would normally I agree with u on this matter, but in this case this case the group of parents of the prospective A team are good parents and understand where their dd's abilities are at this present time. And I try to be up front with everybody about playing time.

Jun 24, 2013
We took our all-stars to 3 TB tourneys and a team camp at an out-of-state university before we played in our rec league sanctioned tourney. We went up against A level teams and we were C maybe lower B-level at best. Sure we lost, but we actually won 2 games when no one gave us a chance to win any. The girls had a blast. The parents (ehhh-some did- some didn't). Some parents overestimated their DD's abilities and took it out on the coaches. The few TB girls parents understood.

We won our regional tourney and lost at states. We drew the toughest team and played them to a 2-0 (0-0 going into the 6th).
It will be good to have them see what is out there as long as they can do it with realistic expectations.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

Our tryouts were the 4th. We had 38 girls show up from the 10 teams in the league (7 from mine, yeah!). They will be forming 2 teams so we are waiting here in the next few days.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD has been selected to the 10U Silver team for our league. Her initial reaction was anger - she REALLY wanted to be on the Gold team. However, on the Silver team, she will be a leader, one of the starting catchers, and probably have a lot more success at the plate. Honestly, it's the better choice for her this season. Unfortunately, all the pitching talent in our 10U division has been selected for Gold, leaving the Silver team with 3 first-season pitchers who have little speed and trouble finding the strike zone.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
My DD has been selected to the 10U Silver team for our league. Her initial reaction was anger - she REALLY wanted to be on the Gold team. However, on the Silver team, she will be a leader, one of the starting catchers, and probably have a lot more success at the plate. Honestly, it's the better choice for her this season. Unfortunately, all the pitching talent in our 10U division has been selected for Gold, leaving the Silver team with 3 first-season pitchers who have little speed and trouble finding the strike zone.

I hope we end up playing you at some point. I'll keep my eyes open for the Sierra Madre team. Lil one made our team despite her father's talking about leaving the league in the fall. Talent always wins out. If we play then the winner buys the beer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish