If a varsity player had a Twitter post showing her smoking during season........

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
......what would your HS do? (yes, the player is under 18). And no there is nothing specific to smoking in the state agency handbook about athletes and smoking.

Jun 22, 2008
My daughters coach required both the players and parents to sign a code of conduct. It listed specific items that would not be tolerated, such as alcohol, tobacco, fighting etc. Any violation of the code of conduct was grounds for dismissal from the team. While he never actually dismissed any of the players, there were several times players were benched for one or more games for violations.

These kids today need to learn a lesson about posting all these things on twitter, facebook etc. A player on my daughters college team (a freshman) had been warned on several occasions to stop being critical of the coaching staff and team on her twitter posts. She immediately put up another post about how no one was going to dictate to her what she could and couldnt post. It just so happened the team was leaving for a tournament later that day or the next morning and guess who didnt have a ticket to get on the airplane? Or, was just in the paper here a month or so ago. Star football player out of Texas who as I recall had a full ride to Michigan. Posting vulgar messages about sex and stuff on his twitter, got back to the coach at Michigan and they said bye bye.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would suggest that the HS, cover this for next year. At this point, it is the girl's family that needs to be aware of it. Kids and adults post goofy things. She could of even just stuck a cigarette in her mouth, as a joke.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
I was very surprised to see there is NOTHING in the state Association rule book about athletes and tobacco. Plenty of lines in there about use by coaches and officials during practice/competition...but nothing about the players.

Just so happens the player is a starter.....and an assitant coach's daughter. The other person in the picture is the team manager (the head coach's daughter).

Gotta love small-town politics in sports!

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Put yourself into the role of college coach/recruiter. My guess is that
college coach will look elsewhere for prospect. There are thousands of girls competing for
scholarship $$, why would a coach risk bringing that particular player to his/her program.
I think you answered your own question with your post.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(CoachJV, I agree with you, but the OP's question is more open ended. Most HS softball players aren't going to play college ball.)

At my DD's school in Chicagoland, there is a Code of Conduct. There is a "general" section for everyone and then there are additional restrictions if a kid is involved in sports or school sponsored activities.

Under the general school Code of Conduct, there is no punishment, assuming it did not happen at school. Under the athletic Code of Conduct, any use of tobacco is forbidden. For a first offense under the athletic Code of Conduct, she would be suspended for 10% of the activities, or about 3 games.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
So as a parent/coach if someone saw your kid or one of your players hanging around unsavory characters or engaging in activities not age appropriate, (smoking, drinking, making out, riding in cars ((yes riding in cars:cool:)) ) would you want that person to speak to you? If you witnessed the behavior, would you say something to the coahc or the kid?

May 25, 2010
So as a parent/coach if someone saw your kid or one of your players hanging around unsavory characters or engaging in activities not age appropriate, (smoking, drinking, making out, riding in cars ((yes riding in cars:cool:)) ) would you want that person to speak to you? If you witnessed the behavior, would you say something to the coahc or the kid?
It would depend on the situation, the child's age, and my relationship with the family. There have been times when I've told a child that either they could tell their parents what they did or I would. There have been times when I've corrected the behavior on the spot without notice to the parent. And there has been the rare occasion when I've told a parent what I observed without saying anything to the child.

If the school team or athletic department has a policy against smoking, then I would guess some type of hearing is called for to address the situation. If there's no policy, however, then I guess it's just another dumb Facebook pic.

Nov 29, 2009
I would have all of the kids sign an agreement to disable all social media accounts during the season.

You'd have better luck guessing the next lottery numbers after you came up from your bunker after the firestorm from everyone.

It will never happen. FB, Twitter and the other media outlets are like crack to the kids. I doubt you'll ever get them to give it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad