How long should a higher end bat last?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Seems like a silly question, so forgive me!

I understand that bats tend to get hotter with more swings (and my DD is swinging a 2015 LXT - it is now just almost a year old). While I fully admit that I want a new bat more than she does, what is a reasonable shelf life for a higher end bat?

As always, thanks for the feedback and commentary.

Jan 3, 2014
To be honest, if you get a year out of one, you did well (depending on use). They are made to be hot, not last for years.

Any truth in it when people say they "go dead"? Or do they just get progressively hotter until they break? The latter is my experience. But, DS says he's got an Easton bat that is dead, no cracks, just not as hot as it used to be. I'm skeptical, because the bat in question (2014 XL1) is supposed to be a tank. I think it's his swing. :)

DD swore to me that her 2014 LXT lost pop too. My contention is that her swing mechanics were off, not the bat. :)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think some last longer than others. Easton Stealth was know to have a ton of swings in them. DD had an old CF4 she used in the cages and very cold temps that just kept going. I seriously doubt one regular kid could put enough big hits on a composite bat to wear it out in a year.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not either but I am always impressed on how often some poster’s DDs hit.

I know DD is not going to wear out a bat in a year, or maybe in her lifetime. She is going to outgrow a bat before it gives up on her.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
We were able to get a year and a half out of a CF4 and recently a year and a half out of a CF5. We know they are at the end of their service life as the get a noticeable vibration in them when hitting. Nothing you can see on the outside, but a definite vibration. Since we have two CF5's I can tap the handle on the ground and the one with the vibration has a very different, duller sound, than the other. A plus is the 2015's are on sale this time of year.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
I do not either but I am always impressed on how often some poster’s DDs hit.

I know DD is not going to wear out a bat in a year, or maybe in her lifetime. She is going to outgrow a bat before it gives up on her.

Not our case, DD is nearly done all the growing she is going to do. (Sigh - we grow them short).

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Again, depending on usage. If only used for game swings, a bat will last a long time. But many do not do that. With the amount of hits a lot of kids put on bats, you are lucky to get a year. And I'm not talking about a bat going dead and wearing out...I mean breakage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad