Bat Help: LS Meta 2024 vs Easton Ghost vs Demarini Whisper vs ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 2, 2021
Hello All,

I am looking for some sage advice or at least some witty comments regarding a new bat for my DD.

My daughter previously swung a Demarini CF Zen 30/19 for U8/10 and moved to an LS Meta 31/20 for U12 as she liked the more end-loaded feel. She hits in the 3-hole and hits for average and power. My thoughts were just to get an LS 32/22 but they have now changed the bat and it is my understanding that they are more balanced than the previous design. She has swung a Ghsot Double Barrel and Advanced and liked the Double Barrell by thought the Advanced was a bit heavy feeling. Demarini in my mind has always had light-swinging bats but I hear the Whisper is a little different.

Is the change in the Meta significant enough to go to a minus 9? That seems a bit heavy.
How is the new Whisper? Good pop? Swing a bit heavier than most Demarini's?
Ghost is an unknown to us but is the hype real or great marketing of a good product?

I know the typical answer here is just to let her swing all the bats she can but we are located in Canada where hockey is king, and our local shop is great but lacks the ability to stock every bat. I would like to support the local shop as they are very active and contribute greatly to youth sports.

I am not worried overly about durability as I feel that bats that are expected to be hot out to the wrapper are not meant for longevity.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Your Friendly Canadian

Aug 18, 2018
I can't speak to LS and demarini but I know the ghost bats tend to be over listed weight at times and once or more. Would weigh bats she uses now and compare to others.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Hi,

The changes to the Meta were paint and the design on the outside. They redesigned the internals to be more durable. As Chad posted the other day in his email from LS, the power and balance are the same.

As for the Whisper, it is overweight by just under an ounce. Mine is 34-24, but it weighs 24.9 ounces. It's definitely a heavier swinging bat than the CF, although we have yet to try the new Insane model. The Whisper has a ton of pop and a different sound from the CF. Some have claimed it sounds more like a LS bat than a DeMarini.

The Ghost lines are what they are. Good bats with great sound and good pop. The sound is what draws girls in, even if the dads don't want to believe it.

If she likes her current Meta, I would stick with the new one, but I'd suggest moving to a -10 rather than a -9.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
IMO, the double barrel ghost -9 is the best bat. If a hitter has proper mechanics the added end loaded wieght will not effect her swing. In fact it might help her swing. Once she swings the ghost she will probably never use a different bat.
Also, the idea that bats are hot right out of the wrapper is a marketing ploy. Ghost get hotter with use and take time to break in.
Never use ghost with dimple cage balls.

Nov 2, 2021
The changes to the Meta were paint and the design on the outside. They redesigned the internals to be more durable. As Chad posted the other day in his email from LS, the power and balance are the same.
That is good to know. I thought I had read somewhere that due to the internal changes, they swung a bit lighter.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That is good to know. I thought I had read somewhere that due to the internal changes, they swung a bit lighter.
From @Chad504boy:

Hi Chad,

Thank you for contacting Louisville Slugger. The internal components of the 2024 Meta were redesigned to be more durable. The balance and power are the same, all other changes are cosmetic. Let us know if you have any remaining questions or concerns by directly replying to this e-mail.

As for dimple balls, most manufacturers will tell you that they will void the warranty. If you must hit machine balls, use a backup bat, if possible.

Both of my daughters used the DS Ghost. One liked it, the other did not. The one who likes it uses it along with the Whisper and Marucci Echo Connect Diamond. If she had to pick only one to use, it would be the Marucci. As for the other one, she hated the feel of the Ghost, so she went right back to her LXT. I guess the moral of the story is trust your daughter's judgement, not anyone else's.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
We used Rawlings red dots in our pitching machine. Do you see an issue using these for BP with a Ghost -10?
It will definitely help break bat in but might also shorten the life of the bat. Some depends on how fast you set the machine and how fast she swings. Also cold weather could make matters worse. I would get a cage bat. But then again, you have warranty??

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Never use any ball with harder stats than what a bat is made for unless you are ok with possible breakage.
And rememeber, when balls are cold, compression is more. There...got my disclaimer out of the way :)
I dont recommend any cage dimple ball either...i know people have said they make nice light ones now
that are ok...but I have never seen them. I just know the dinosaur ones I have seen in cages...hahaha.

As for bats, you gotta just test the waters. If you have a local shop...there is no reason for them not to have most
bats once you hit the 32 inch mark. Drop9 and 10.

If she is coming from a 31/20...no way would I jump her to a 32 drop9 in any bat. Most drop10s are going to be a bit over 22. So I would
say is a LS, you're looking at 22.5 or so. So if she is coming from a 31/20...that drop9 which will be 23 or a bit more is gonna be a big
jump

Mar 4, 2022
Just from my own personal experience on the new Meta. So far we have ordered (6) 32 -11 and (1) 31-10. I’m trying to keep my DD around 21oz for the increased swing speed. The 31 -10 weighed almost perfect at 21oz. However, every 32 -11 was at least an oz over. The lightest one so far is the was right at 22oz. All weighed in wrapper.

Unsure why every -11 was really a -10. Hopefully that helps for what it’s worth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles