Starting Travel Ball (bat recommendations)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 17, 2023
My daughter (9) has been a rec ball only player up until this point. She is a pretty decent player and she was asked to join a travel ball team for this upcoming year. They obviously recommended upgrading bats as my daughter still swings a 27" Easton Amethyst. I bought her a mid range composite (2018 Easton Stealth) that she didnt like and went back to her Amethyst.

Weird question; but what would be the best place to start with trying upper end bats that would swing similar to the Amethyst? I was looking to get a 29" or even a 30" bat as they will not be playing competitively until next year when she is 10 and her measurements already have her on the line between those two sizes. I think she just really likes the speed of the smaller bat right now.

May 13, 2023
Have you tried going to a hitting facility where they let you sample bats?
This can be a good place to experiment
with the feel and results of other options.
Or
Swing a friends bat to sample.

Since she didn't like the Easton stealth, it may not be what to buy but rather which bat does she like. 🤷‍♀️

Oct 17, 2023
Yeah, we don't really have anything like that. A couple friends of hers that are on the team have LXTs and Prisms for their daughters so I thought she could try theirs and see where to go but I was wondering if the weight and feel of the bat she likes, even though its a cheap aluminum one piece, could give me an idea of what would be some top contenders she might like or some must tries.

Jul 1, 2022
She seems to like a light swinging bat. On the upper end it's the Demarini CF. If you want to go even lighter their -12 composite is the Demarini Spryte. If you have a dicks sporting goods near you maybe go and have her hold one and do some dry swings to get the feel.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Her current bat is a one-piece -11. Most other composites are at least two pieces. There are plenty of -11 bats out there from every manufacturer, but not many are one piece.

The bat I would say is closest to the feel of her current bat would be a Marucci Echo DMND in a -11 size. It's a one-piece bat designed for youth and smaller teens, but it will have considerably more pop than the current bat.

Nov 2, 2021
My DD at that age used a 30 drop 11 Demarini CF Zen. I highly suggest any Demarini for that age as they swing light to balanced, are durable and have good pop. You may be able to find a used bat in good shape. If you have a disregard for money new CF series are great. You will also be able to sell the bat down the road. If you want your DD to be a good hitter invest time and money in lessons or practice at that age. The best bat is the one swung with velocity and on a good path.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
At her age, look used. Take her to cages that let you sample or a store that has demos. Then jump on ebay or other buy/sell
forums like here and look for a good used bat. No use spending huge money as she wont be breaking any bats at that age.

Oct 17, 2023
Her current bat is a one-piece -11. Most other composites are at least two pieces. There are plenty of -11 bats out there from every manufacturer, but not many are one piece.

The bat I would say is closest to the feel of her current bat would be a Marucci Echo DMND in a -11 size. It's a one-piece bat designed for youth and smaller teens, but it will have considerably more pop than the current bat.
Are there major differences in the way a one piece feels vs a 2 piece bat?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Are there major differences in the way a one piece feels vs a 2 piece bat?
At her age, not really. They make those one-piece bats for the younger ages to help them drive the ball further with the slower pitching. As they get older, most girls favor a two-piece bat for flexibility and reduced sting. When they get to high-end travel and college, some strong hitters go back to a one-piece.

If possible, try one at a store or from a teammate. There's no reason to have an expensive bat at her age. You can always get a good used one online for a serious discount. And the good news is that the composites rarely break when the girls are young, so you won't have to worry about a warranty. They grow out of them so quickly that it's not worth spending for a new top of the line bat now.

Save your money for more lessons. That will do more for her than the shiny new bat.

Oct 17, 2023
At her age, not really. They make those one-piece bats for the younger ages to help them drive the ball further with the slower pitching. As they get older, most girls favor a two-piece bat for flexibility and reduced sting. When they get to high-end travel and college, some strong hitters go back to a one-piece.

If possible, try one at a store or from a teammate. There's no reason to have an expensive bat at her age. You can always get a good used one online for a serious discount. And the good news is that the composites rarely break when the girls are young, so you won't have to worry about a warranty. They grow out of them so quickly that it's not worth spending for a new top of the line bat now.

Save your money for more lessons. That will do more for her than the shiny new bat.
Yeah, I typically go used on my kids bats. With my son, I bought one used bat and have pretty much sold and bought them for almost even money every year. Like you said, one season shouldn't beat a bat up that badly at this age. And you are right about lessons. Between catching and pitching, and her getting beyond my level with hitting, those things are going to run me in the ground 🤣

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles