How can dd get a better swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
She also keeps her shoulders and swing level to the ground. That's also common. You hear coaches say 'Don't drop your shoulder' and 'Swing level.'

But at the point of contact, the shoulders are going to be tilted, and the hands are going to be higher than the barrel of the bat.

(Something ironic about this photo is that I was going to say that I really don't like for hitters to have a closed front foot during the swing, like your DD's. I think it restricts hip rotation and puts a lot of strain on the knee. But this here hitter keeps it closed and had a good career. I still don't like it.)

But notice the shoulder, bat, arm angles.

3575788_f260.jpg

This is the #1 difference I see between softball and baseball swings. There is a point in the swing; at contact, where the knees appear to "pinch" together as an energy transfer. This can't happen effectively if they are too vertical.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
It has been what, over 2 months ago that I was asking for feedback. So, I figure it was time for an update...dd has been working hard to improve her batting, working on some of the suggestions mentioned. She even sign up and is a current member on this forum(be nice when leaving comments, she haven't posted yet but she reads them. :p). So for any suggestions, try to keep it at a 16 year old train of thought...LOL).

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Lookz like bat is a little too big/long. Have her stand up with hands down to her side. Bat knob should come to where watch is wore.

I know she pitches, so not as much time/energy for hitting. Here is what I have my DD do.

Only showing you this because she ( your DD ) is doing same foot work...half way there....JMHO (Practical) :cool:

M%26S_W.gif

And don't think those two ladies just made this video in 300fps for the fun of it, and that the pitcher is the only 100 game NPF winner, and the hitter is the NPF MVP 2013 for her hitting....and is a outfielder who got invited to play in Japan...

And don't think you can't go to RP's site & or YouTube Channel and get a

Softball Hitting Technical explanation of this swing... :cool:

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o258io5nSG1usf292o1_400.gif

Would have liked to have seen the video 'shot' from the other side. From what I can see looks like DD drops hands and swings 'level' to the ground. DD needs to swing 'level' to the ball or 'level' with barrel in the path of the ball. The hands shouldn't drop down to the ball. The body should tilt down to the ball making the adjustments(front arm needs to work up). There's other 'issues' with the front arm and rear arm(elbow being 'glued' to the side of the rear hip). Trying to keep it 'practical' and not 'technical' because of the thread it was posted in. Hopefully DD can see the 'issues' and make the changes.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
She has been showing more interest in batting lately. It does help since she hasn't been spending a lot of time on making mechanical changes in her pitch....that is recently. She is getting ready for school ball, so no big changes on her pitching at this moment....Now, her batting is whole other other beast that she is ready to tackle. :p..LOL...I am slowly but surely getting the video work down, little by little...m

Lookz like bat is a little too big/long. Have her stand up with hands down to her side. Bat knob should come to where watch is wore.

I know she pitches, so not as much time/energy for hitting. Here is what I have my DD do.

Only showing you this because she ( your DD ) is doing same foot work...half way there....JMHO (Practical) :cool:

M%26S_W.gif

And don't think those two ladies just made this video in 300fps for the fun of it, and that the pitcher is the only 100 game NPF winner, and the hitter is the NPF MVP 2013 for her hitting....and is a outfielder who got invited to play in Japan...

And don't think you can't go to RP's site & or YouTube Channel and get a

Softball Hitting Technical explanation of this swing... :cool:

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
DD knows she has a tendency to drop her hands...She is having a problem on understand, "how" to fix it....The arms being glued is still the leftover byproduct of having an instructor using a bag under her arm and coaching her to swing and not allowing the bag to drop.
tumblr_o258io5nSG1usf292o1_400.gif

Would have liked to have seen the video 'shot' from the other side. From what I can see looks like DD drops hands and swings 'level' to the ground. DD needs to swing 'level' to the ball or 'level' with barrel in the path of the ball. The hands shouldn't drop down to the ball. The body should tilt down to the ball making the adjustments(front arm needs to work up). There's other 'issues' with the front arm and rear arm(elbow being 'glued' to the side of the rear hip). Trying to keep it 'practical' and not 'technical' because of the thread it was posted in. Hopefully DD can see the 'issues' and make the changes.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
She has been showing more interest in batting lately. It does help since she hasn't been spending a lot of time on making mechanical changes in her pitch....that is recently. She is getting ready for school ball, so no big changes on her pitching at this moment....Now, her batting is whole other other beast that she is ready to tackle. :p..LOL...I am slowly but surely getting the video work down, little by little...m

That's Great, and we know it is going to come together, just like the pitching. The video work is a BIG plus. As she learns to hit, she'll also be learning pitching. She'll recognize, and capitalize on hitters flaws.

I tried to get a swing that is as compact as possible. I had DD leave out the open stance, and square up & just toe tap. I kept her seeing lotz of pitches weekly. She agreed to keep bat on shoulder for first 10 balls as a warm up, after bunting & slapping.

She was just wanting to do what she had seen the other girls doing. Then when it came to picking up balls, I told her I didn't want to have to go clear back around Home plate too pick up...Balls need to be on one end. She took her 10 swings on shoulder, then lifted. When she seen she could keep the balls from getting behind her with the bat on her shoulder, she don't even offer anymore.

Then we stepped it up to hitting every ball in the bucket.... but she was able to try both ways, and discovered best way... Once you are hitting every ball, you don't get to much advice from others. I have her hitting nothing but baseballs this winter... and she can do the Barry Bonds swing. I told her it is a progression ... first we got to get to Alex Hugo second year of college ... then Bonds.

I always keep her confident @ hitting.... especially when we are struggling with the pitching..

Here is our Alex & Berry clips

1BB_R.gif
2.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06