How can dd get a better swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Doesn't sound like an ideal team situation if they use a lot of guest players.

Front_Torque1.jpg
The team she played for was an idea situation for where she was at that moment in her softball career. As a pitcher, she was their #1 pitcher which meant she got the much needed experience. Yes, they were a B bracket team but she was at a B bracket level at that time. Only thing that I didn't understand was the batting lineup.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of the things I'm seeing is her front elbow staying down against her body, which is preventing her front arm from working correctly through contact.
Pujols_Hands_close_XMO.gif

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
That is what Williams' referred to as a knee cock. Notice that your DD "in a sense" leans into this. To some extent Pujols is doing something similar.

I question if the upper body is truly synchronized with the lower body.

I'm not able to make out Rick's instruction here. Is he advocating the turning of the rear leg followed by an E-R! emphasis? If so, what is your daughter's interpretation of the E-R emphasis?
Okay…I am fully understanding. She is using a knee cock instead of a stride for her load. He was talking about the same action used in pitching, turn the laces, lift the heel, knee to knee…

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
One of the things I'm seeing is her front elbow staying down against her body, which is preventing her front arm from working correctly through contact.
Pujols_Hands_close_XMO.gif

Interesting….this was something that a local coach instructed her to do, keep her front arm against her body. I guess that is the issue I am having, one person says she needs to stride, another person says she needs to keep her arm closer, another says she needs to lift her back arm. So many different people are giving instructions on, "how to fix her swing." All we want is to ,'improve her swing."

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
That is what Williams' referred to as a knee cock. Notice that your DD "in a sense" leans into this. To some extent Pujols is doing something similar.

I question if the upper body is truly synchronized with the lower body.

I'm not able to make out Rick's instruction here. Is he advocating the turning of the rear leg followed by an E-R! emphasis? If so, what is your daughter's interpretation of the E-R emphasis?
[video]https://youtu.be/PTeTNDhVMPs[/video]

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nyhz1924kS1usf292o1_400.gif

Closest hitter in 'almost' the same pattern...
ChamberlainFullSwing.gif

Hopeful you can see the differences....

tumblr_nomkokcA7Q1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_nox8rk5TLe1usf292o1_540.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nyi01yIWRo1usf292o1_400.gif

Interesting….this was something that a local coach instructed her to do, keep her front arm against her body. I guess that is the issue I am having, one person says she needs to stride, another person says she needs to keep her arm closer, another says she needs to lift her back arm. So many different people are giving instructions on, "how to fix her swing." All we want is to ,'improve her swing."

That's why a parent needs to educate themselves to choose wisely. To many cooks in the kitchen isn't good.
Good luck to you and your DD.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nyi15dGNkS1usf292o1_400.gif

One foot was 'spun'/'spin'to get to this position of 'toes pointed to China'.

The other foot was leg driven/SNF into this position.
The rear foot position is not a teach. JMHO.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
tumblr_nyi15dGNkS1usf292o1_400.gif

One foot was 'spun'/'spin'to get to this position of 'toes pointed to China'.

The other foot was leg driven/SNF into this position.
The rear foot position is not a teach. JMHO.

What I am seeing is 1)She needs more separation between upper and lower half when her arms shift back(my dd is seemingly jamming herself). 2)A better load…I see my daughter turning her front hip and showing her bottom to the batter. Instead she needs to shift forward.
Now correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking out loud…I am trying to process this so I can understand it in a manner to explain it my teenager.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
If she eliminated her front foot action and replaced it with nothing, she might have less power.

If she modified her front foot action and transformed it into a coiling out motion that was in sequence with getting her hands back, she would be batting much higher in the lineup.

Notice this hitter. Notice how she has a similar front foot action as your DD, but she really opens the hips ahead of her shoulder. Her front foot opens at heel plant, gets a lot of torque. Notice also how she brings her hands back as she's going forward - not before.

Brooke.gif

Thanks…I am going to show DD this video since she really want to keep her front leg load the way it is. This video shows how she can use it in her swing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06