How can dd get a better swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Crystal, your daughter is doing a lot correctly.

If you have video in which she is not so rushed between pitches then post that. I suspect we'll see a sequence issue.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I am so far from an expert on this so take it with a grain of salt. The only thing that stood out to me was that she seems lackadaisical. No explosion.

I can see how her swing look that way and I do think if she get better use of her lower body, her swing would look a lot more explosive.

Dec 4, 2013
CB%20swing_zpsi11zx9xp.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

See how the hands prepare to throw prior to the body moving forward?

This is not "forward and prepare to throw". This is "prepare to throw, go forward, and add a twinge of late prep".

Below are some video segments of the basic sequence I like to see mastered.

Some terms that can be used ... "walk away from the hands", "forward and prepare-to-throw", "separation", etc.

A fundamental of getting in sequence is that the rear hip gains ground as the top hand prepares to throw.

Example ... red lines show forward movement of the rear hip, green lines show top hand movement:

30a9ap3.gif

Another example, with a no-stride approach (... similar to Crystal's DD):

35k63vk.gif

And of course Cabrera ...
arvhh.gif

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Crystal, your daughter is doing a lot correctly.

If you have video in which she is not so rushed between pitches then post that. I suspect we'll see a sequence issue.
I don't have a lot of video from after dd visited Rick Pauly for a lesson because we have been focusing a lot of work on pitching and I don't like posting videos from prior since she has gotten better….and I don't want batting flaws that she has fixed to be pointed out. With travel ball season over with, we would like her to work on her batting. I am thankful that Mr Pauly kindly worked with her on some batting at the end of her last pitching lesson. Just from a little tweaks, she has added about 15-20 yards in her last two tournaments. I would love for her to go back and work with him again in December but with my husband officially out of the military and his retirement pay will not kick in for another month, I don't see that happening financially. So, I am going with the next best thing by posting and asking, that way, when we go to the batting cages, we have a solid plan on things she need to work on.
[video]https://youtu.be/jZqHKSAWutk[/video]

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Notice how Pujols' barrel becomes more vertical as he moves forward. His hands are in sync with his lower body. He is preparing to throw as he moves forward. He is experienced and is putting himself in a position to be 'sudden'.

I do see how Pujols barrel is more vertical. What I am wondering is if that little inward movement of her knee/ twist at her waist(instead of just shifting back) thing she is doing is what causing part of the problem? Or is it a different issue? I am getting that she needs a better stretch(I think that is the right terminology to be used)…how to achieve this?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I do see how Pujols barrel is more vertical. What I am wondering is if that little inward movement of her knee/ twist at her waist(instead of just shifting back) thing she is doing is what causing part of the problem? Or is it a different issue? I am getting that she needs a better stretch(I think that is the right terminology to be used)…how to achieve this?

That is what Williams' referred to as a knee cock. Notice that your DD "in a sense" leans into this. To some extent Pujols is doing something similar.

I question if the upper body is truly synchronized with the lower body.

I'm not able to make out Rick's instruction here. Is he advocating the turning of the rear leg followed by an E-R! emphasis? If so, what is your daughter's interpretation of the E-R emphasis?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06