He's making her slap her thigh.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I will take results in my daughter and the actual results of the other girls on our team that went to the same clinic over anything that I have read or seen on here. The instructor broke down every area of her pitching motion and told her that she would gain this much speed if she changed these things. He was on target with all of the girls in the sessions. I will go with results over mixed theories anyday.
so who is the PC?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The best description I can think of, is drawing the elbow into the rib cage. That way the glove is still protecting your body. Or, mimic what you do during the overhand throw. I never see anyone hit themselves throwing overhand, but you certainly could.

Jan 25, 2011
That being said, she is 17, and was pitching about 48 mph before she started the sessions, so I do not think this would be the same with and 11 or 12 year old because they don't have the body to do that at that age.
Sorry to say this, but if your dd was 17 and only throwing 48. She had more issues then slapping her leg. So as far as this PC knowing more then most of the posters on this site. I highly doubt it, because their are several really good posters on here.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
View attachment 6540

My first attempt at uploading a picture on here. I could not find one with the arm tucked. The best way to describe the arm tucked is the position that most PC's teach their pitchers to be in after the ball is pitched. The defensive position with the glove up and ready to move to protect herself her face or other body parts on a line drive.

A 'before' and 'after' video would be helpful ..... and likely help explain the real benefits that took place.

Oct 25, 2009
If it improves tennis, then why don't all the women do it? How come no men do it? I go to many pro and amateur tourneys. Have you sat there? I have.

It is a trick, for show, way louder than it needs to be, and part of it is that women tend to be more agreeable about doing silly things their coaches ask them. The other day, I mentioned to my players I hated something they were doing as a joke and they literally stopped doing it! So I have to be careful.

In junior tennis, they are trying to teach grunting out of the kids. This theory has been around before and debunked in weight lifting. Yes if you are at your breaking point of energy maybe, but not every rep.

I was just scanning this thread because I saw FFS on here; not really into pitching.

The "grunt" is much more than just a "trick" or "show". Anyone can prove this to themselves simply by trying it. I used to teach a "grunt" in hitting; to be executed at the exact point of contact. It works but there were so many naysayers that I've pretty much stopped doing it.

Ask any high ranking martial artist and they will probably try to help you understand it. It's called a kiai. I'm not expert enough on it to attempt an explanation but it's worth your time to research it.

As far as men not doing it? They do; just not loudly in baseball. Different story in martial arts!

Other than the extra speed and strength it gives what I also really liked was the batter had to really focus on the ball to "time" the "grunt". Made seeing the ball a little more successful.

Oct 25, 2009
I was talking about tennis, not all that other stuff. And martial arts is about direct aggression in hand to hand combat, which was then made into a sport. These are just sports, and again, it is done to show aggression or it is poor body control, nothing more. I could even see someone damaging their vocal chords if they grunt during weightlifting.

I won't press it but it's obvious you don't really know anything about it and may not care to know. But if you do want to learn more about it the information is there if you seek it. It's a LOT more than most realize. It's not magic, it's real.

Jul 24, 2008
Sorry to say this, but if your dd was 17 and only throwing 48. She had more issues then slapping her leg. So as far as this PC knowing more then most of the posters on this site. I highly doubt it, because their are several really good posters on here.

Wow, I did not know I was on a Yahoo comment page. What does a degrading comment about my daughter and another PC do to add value to this conversation? I realize again why I only come on here sparingly and have to sort through all the egos to gather any useful information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloie