Help with DD going all forward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
3353wh1.gif

May 3, 2014
Valid question.

You can physically work on both the 'pause removal' and 'hand path'.

That said, I would personally work on the 'pause removal' first, then evaluate the 'hand path' without the 'pause', and work on improving the 'hand path' from there.

Why? Because the 'pause' has multiple negative effects ... including the insertion of a 'rush condition', which negatively impacts the 'hand path'. Hence the notion of first removing the 'pause' and then perfecting the 'hand path'.

Fair enough. It seems like it was an easy fix but the hand path / arm usage remains the same. Now on to the hard part, DrDrodd. I don't mean that in a bad way - it's just that I never thought the pause was a big deal and your daughter proved that. But, the way she delivers the barrel to the ball is a big deal. It is harder to overcome and will take some work on her part.

6DB9D2.gif
tB9tPV.gif
HnvUq6.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
6DB9D2.gif

I agree with Butter on the 'hand path/arm usage'. Seems to create a 'push' type swing. Also I'm not a fan of the ER of the rear leg. Would like to see the rear leg remain stable during the load/coil.
tB9tPV.gif

On a side note I think there is something to be learn by watching the 'magic carpet ride'. Weight shift......

May 3, 2014
Model to look at - Chelsea Goodacre flipped to right side

eLNKmq.gif

Watch the red elbow guard move - watch it move compared to the barrel movement. Watch the rear elbow move compared to the red guard and the barrel

[
zQjw2M.gif

Knightsb - this is similar to what I had talked about a couple of years ago but I had the wrong direction. the front elbow works off the body and the barrel works back over the shoulder as the rear elbow works towards the plate away from the body. Not barrel away from the oppo field. Hip rotation will turn it as needed and provide direction. That connector device retards the correct arm action - especially the rear arm.

Redstitch and Stick - this is for you as well. Goodacre is not lifting the front arm with her body - her shoulder joint is doing it. And her rear elbow is not driving into her rib cage. She creates space.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The barrel working behind you (sagittal plane) needs to be a result.. This is the movement that balances out the catcher/pitcher (frontal plane) movement and allows one to stay back while moving forward.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Fair enough. It seems like it was an easy fix but the hand path / arm usage remains the same. Now on to the hard part, DrDrodd. I don't mean that in a bad way - it's just that I never thought the pause was a big deal and your daughter proved that. But, the way she delivers the barrel to the ball is a big deal. It is harder to overcome and will take some work on her part.

6DB9D2.gif
tB9tPV.gif
HnvUq6.gif

Butter thanks for your suggestions I really do appreciate everything. I think you may have underestimated what taking the pause out of the load has done for her. Which is not surprising due to you only being able to view one tee swing. I would not have a problem with her pausing if she would get a running start before the launch but she doesn't and I believe this was the major factor that is causing her to push the bat and I mean really push it. I felt that she was still making contact in the correct area but the push gave her no power at the POC because all of the power in the swing is downstream and out of the zone. What I saw yesterday was that the continuous load and momentum seemed to have helped her with more throwing of the bat head and a LOT less pushing of the hands. I also believe that this throwing action has the power in the swing where we need it to be. I know that it is difficult to see these things by only watching video so I wanted to give a feeling to what I am seeing with the eyeball test. With that being said I do see the hand path issue that you are talking about and plan on working in some high tee stuff as you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
6DB9D2.gif

I agree with Butter on the 'hand path/arm usage'. Seems to create a 'push' type swing. Also I'm not a fan of the ER of the rear leg. Would like to see the rear leg remain stable during the load/coil.
tB9tPV.gif

On a side note I think there is something to be learn by watching the 'magic carpet ride'. Weight shift......

Rear leg usage is sloppy and slack filled. Hitter would benefit by having the rear leg serve as a resistive post early on.

Rear upper arm usage is not ideal. Would benefit from learning the upper arm usage in a sidearm throw.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1