Help with DD going all forward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I agree with FFS on this. I think a toe tap for timing is fine, but no momentum should be involved in whatever timing move a batter wants to use. That start and restart would be a killer against live pitching, really hard to sync it up with different deliveries. She might do fine after seeing a few but i am guessing she is taking too many pitches early in the at bat or is mistiming her swing early in the at bat so she might find her self in a hole a lot.

Other than that, I see a very athletic kid and a fast bat. Add a little separation like some others have said and she should be killing it.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
If your complaint is "timing", then understand that your daughter's "re-start", that follows her "pause", needs to be timed to the "pitcher". The "re-starting" forward movement needs to be timed such that it is occurring at, or just prior, to the pitcher's release. If this is happening after the pitcher's release then she will be "rushed" and her mechanics will be less than what they could be.

To get the timing of the "re-start" correct you may likely find that her 'first start' needs to be considerably early, and not timed to anything in particular ... and in fact it may be so early that she may begin to wonder what its useful purpose is ... and perhaps make her 'second start' her only start ... a start that is accurately timed to the pitcher. As it stands now, the critical timing piece comes after your daughter's "pause" ... making timing more difficult, not less difficult ... in that it must encompass a stop/pause/restart.

I understand that such a pause can have hitters feeling that the pause improves their timing, but that is because they overlooked the Holy Grail ... the 'early & slow'. If you are seeing a diet of subpar pitching, and can live with primarily just timing the ball, then a pause is something that one may end up gravitating towards ... but it isn't an ideal solution.

I honestly do not believe it's a timing issue. I am believing that the lack of stretch is causing her to push and slowing her hands down just enough causing weak hits oppo because all of the power is further down stream due to the heavy push. I believe her mind is on time and it is mechanics causing her problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I honestly do not believe it's a timing issue. I am believing that the lack of stretch is causing her to push and slowing her hands down just enough causing weak hits oppo because all of the power is further down stream due to the heavy push. I believe her mind is on time and it is mechanics causing her problem.

Not a problem. I may have misinterpreted your earlier comment of a failure "when timing is involved". Sounds like you have a handle on what you wish to work on.

May 3, 2014
I would not work on the hand path issue until removing the 'pause'. The pause has side effects ... such as placing the hitter in a semi rushed condition, in which the hand path becomes more of a challenge. Address the pause, and the other issues will become easier to address ... that is if they are still present. If you are going to take the advice to mimic hitters such as Piazza, then mimic the lack of a pause as well. Piazza studied people like Mohamed Ali, Bruce Lee and Sugar Ray Lenard to better understand quickness, and his conclusion was to direct his focus towards the elimination of tension from the swing.

I am curious why you think you cannot work on both?

Aren't you the one that always says that body supports the hands goal?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Not a problem. I may have misinterpreted your earlier comment of a failure "when timing is involved". Sounds like you have a handle on what you wish to work on.

No worries, I just wanted to show that when timing is not involved that she can get the sequence correct. I am very optimistic that the swing NOW drill will do wonders for her.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am curious why you think you cannot work on both?

Aren't you the one that always says that body supports the hands goal?

Valid question.

You can physically work on both the 'pause removal' and 'hand path'.

That said, I would personally work on the 'pause removal' first, then evaluate the 'hand path' without the 'pause', and work on improving the 'hand path' from there.

Why? Because the 'pause' has multiple negative effects ... including the insertion of a 'rush condition', which negatively impacts the 'hand path'. Hence the notion of first removing the 'pause' and then perfecting the 'hand path'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
[video]https://twitter.com/dustinlind/status/699759934108381184[/video]

Smooth and continuous ....

241jmhi.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877