going back on a flyball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
Is there any other accepted way to teach going back on a fly ball than drop step, crossover, Sprint.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm a fan of drop step, drop step then some more drop step. Takes a lot of reps but I'm not aware or a better way than what you already list.

Jun 29, 2013
It just depends on your kids. I was always able to back pedal half a mile without losing a step or landing on my arse, and it was easier for me to catch that way than any other way. But your method is the standard way to teach it. Use to get teased that I looked like a defensive back playing football, but really, it isn't that difficult for me ,and crossover steps caused me to trip more often. But I wouldn't force my way on someone else, and your method is the standard way to teach.

May 17, 2011
Actually, there was a DB that played for University of Michigan back in the late 80's/early 90's that was said to be able to run the 40 faster by backpedaling rather than running forward. His name was Tripp Welbourne.

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
Don't forget to teach them to tuck the glove while running also. It'll slow them down if they try to run with an outstretched and glove.
When you say tucked do you mean tight to the body? I teach to pump the arms when running.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
When you say tucked do you mean tight to the body? I teach to pump the arms when running.

I teach wrist curled so the glove almost touches the bicep. That way they can still pump the arms as usual. I have seen others teach tucked tight to the body but I don't particularly care for that since it seems to me that it takes away from the natural form of the pumping of the arms.

Edit to add: It also seems to me that it is more natural to "unroll," for lack of a better word, the elbow and wrist to make the catch; especially when having to stretch or dive for it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole