Glove suggestions for a 12YO pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
My DD is pitcher/SS/3B. She went through 2 Mizuno Prospect youth gloves in a year and a half. She loved them, they just didn't hold up to travel ball. We ended up getting her this one, and she loves it too. We've had it about 4 months and you can tell it's holding up much better than the others, though 4 months isn't very long so who knows how it will look in another year. We wanted to wait til probably 14U to spend the big bucks, since she'll be about through growing then. She loved this glove right away, no adjustment period like there usually is.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZY7GOZY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for the recommendation ANNASDAD. Looks like there's only 1 right handed one in stock now. It looks like the Fortus is cheaper and a lot of people here swear by them.

You're welcome. If your 12yo is already 5'4" tall and probably still growing the Vinci BV1929-L is probably the way to go. There's a lot of board members here (Jdaddy) who swear by this glove! We've never owned this particular model but I know it's a dual welted model so it'll have small/snug hand and finger stalls. Just be ready for a little work breaking it in although Vinci's black gloves are easier to break in than their tan kip gloves! And listen to Drakemir, steer clear of the Fortus series since your DD is playing "A" ball.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Gloves I recommend...
- Vinci (talk to Drakemir)
- All-Star
- Wilson A2000 (tend to be a love/hate thing)
- Rawlings Liberty Advanced
- Mizuno MVP (probably won't last as long as the others, but the price reflects that)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I agree with Eric's list although I'd probably skip the Mizuno MVP, but that's just me......If we were at a tournament and somehow my DD's glove was lost or stolen then that's the glove I probably would buy. I could beat it into submission and have it ready in a hour or so.

-Vinci-
BV1929-L
RV1961-L
Or have Drakemir order you a custom like my DD's!

Attachments

• 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 103
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
A couple of others I'd take a look at:

**Exclusive** Rawlings Heart of the Hide SWAG 12.5" Narrow Fit Baseball Glove: PRO3028-6BWG

https://www.amazon.com/Mizuno-Globa...708015&sr=8-1&keywords=12"+global+elite+gge11
***Now we've had great luck with Vinci and my DD loves hers!! I almost bought her one of these Global Elite GGE11's so I did a little research on them, made a phone call to a well known guy who restores and re-laces gloves. He told me to buy the Mizuno hands down, he said once you move up to the Global Elite series they use better liner leather, better denser padding, and better finger inserts than Vinci. He said the outside shell is a wash, but the Mizuno has much better internals! Sorry guys, flame away.....

Rawlings Heart of the Hide PRO1000HC Baseball Glove 12 inch Right Hand Throw
***Don Morton's exclusive (Ballgloves.com) This is a killer glove! A little spendy but Morton's has a 10% off coupon going right now.

Rawlings Heart of the Hide 12 Baseball Glove Right Hand Throw - Ballgloves
Kyle Seager model Heart of the Hide also at Don Morton's.

Sorry, a little bored at work and I know I'm throwing some expensive gloves at the OP........ya get what ya pay for!! Just kidding, I personally think glove shopping is fun, make the most of it. Oh and by the way to the OP, did you realize or notice that every one of these gloves, Vinci included were baseball gloves? No velcro in our house (except for my CMW3000 mitt).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree with Eric's list although I'd probably skip the Mizuno MVP, but that's just me......If we were at a tournament and somehow my DD's glove was lost or stolen then that's the glove I probably would buy. I could beat it into submission and have it ready in a hour or so.

I agree that the MVP-series is a step down from the others in terms of quality and long-term durability, but I have been moderately impressed by some of the new MVPs I've seen recently, including a couple on my DD's 12A team. Will they hold up for multiple years? Doubtful. If you're looking for something in the $100-ish range, they're a pretty good buy.

To confirm your guess about getting it game ready in a hurry, I did just that with one of them. Brand new MVP glove was handed to me, I took it home overnight, worked it over for about an hour (maybe less), kid played with it the next morning.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yeah I agree that for the money they're pretty good gloves, they have a black 12" MVP with a H-web, it's a good looking glove. Most Global Elite's retail for $250ish, I think they're a no brainer when you can find them for $159-$179. Excellent gloves! Eric, a 3 or 5 lb. dumbbell works wonders on a new glove!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I love the look of shock and horror on the faces of players (and often parents) when I start to give their brand-new glove a proper beat-down in front of them. ;)

That's a big LOL.......I've had several (quite a few) people, including my wife and DD look at me like WTH are you doing?? Proper beat down.....I like it!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's a big LOL.......I've had several (quite a few) people, including my wife and DD look at me like WTH are you doing?? Proper beat down.....I like it!

Our 3B was reluctant to hand over her glove, and looked like she might cry when I took my first few whacks at it. She's a happy camper now. She's also thrilled about the magical finger-shift I showed her...after the "it feels weird" phase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00