Glove recommendation - help appreciated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
If she ends up doing mostly OF on her travel team then I feel she needs a larger glove, but I think if I go too large she wouldn't be able to use it for pitching in Rec.
Suppose she's mainly doing outfield; anything smaller than 12" is too small. My daughter used a 12.5" Nokona for pitching until she got her current Rawlings Pro Preferred in a 12" size. It worked fine for her; she was only 11 when she got it.

If you need something that will break in fast and last at least two years, go with a Rawlings Liberty Advanced. While an A2000 and HOH are higher quality and will last longer, they will take a while to be game ready. Unless you're willing to spend a lot of time in the next month pounding the crap out of it, your daughter will probably get frustrated with the glove, which will sit unused.

If she's playing infield, a 12.5" will probably be too big. The best utility size is a 12 or 12.25" glove.

We carry a lot of brands in the store, so if you want to get a price you won't be disappointed with, let me know.

Nov 1, 2022
I'm going to throw out another Bradley recommendation here...My DD is about to turn 13 and has been using a 12" Bradley H-Web for about 4 years (she's on her second one now...).
Looks like a solid glove. Reminds me of a Rawlings GG Elite. If you can get a lot of mileage out of a Bradley like that then it is either a great glove or it isn't being used as aggressively as it should. We got two seasons out of a Rawlings GG Elite 12" H web and were happy. I think a Bradely would do at least the same. Question-are the Bradleys only made for smaller hands or do they have models for older players too?

Feb 14, 2019
Looks like a solid glove. Reminds me of a Rawlings GG Elite. If you can get a lot of mileage out of a Bradley like that then it is either a great glove or it isn't being used as aggressively as it should. We got two seasons out of a Rawlings GG Elite 12" H web and were happy. I think a Bradely would do at least the same. Question-are the Bradleys only made for smaller hands or do they have models for older players too?
I can't speak to the larger hand stall availability, but as context for you my DD is 5'5", about 105 lbs and with hands about the size of my wife's at this point. It fits her hand as well now as it did when she was 9. She plays mostly middle infield (always with TIP) but has also used the same glove while pitching, OF and both corners with zero issues.

We've gotten more than our money's worth out of these gloves between school ball and a very active travel ball schedule. For a glove that's nearly game ready on day 1, they hold up incredibly well. I just can't say enough good things about our experience with the company or their products.

Nov 1, 2022
Suppose she's mainly doing outfield; anything smaller than 12" is too small. My daughter used a 12.5" Nokona for pitching until she got her current Rawlings Pro Preferred in a 12" size. It worked fine for her; she was only 11 when she got it.

If you need something that will break in fast and last at least two years, go with a Rawlings Liberty Advanced. While an A2000 and HOH are higher quality and will last longer, they will take a while to be game ready. Unless you're willing to spend a lot of time in the next month pounding the crap out of it, your daughter will probably get frustrated with the glove, which will sit unused.

If she's playing infield, a 12.5" will probably be too big. The best utility size is a 12 or 12.25" glove.

We carry a lot of brands in the store, so if you want to get a price you won't be disappointed with, let me know.
I started out as an inexperienced softball dad and tried to find that ONE glove that would serve us well. Well, 10 years later and a lot of research done (listening to my players) and a lot of $ spent trying to find the magic glove I learned there isn't a magic glove once you get past 12U, Your backpack will likely have two or three gloves in there. 11.75, 12-12.25, and a 12.5-12.75 if you play all over. And if you catch... get a bigger bag because more gloves need to fit in there lol.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
why not bigger than 12 for pitching? everyone now is trying to hide the ball, so as to not tip pitches.
I said here the other day, closed webs for pitching are overrated, girls at this age are not picking up grips, maybe the 3B coach, maybe? Most, and I say most coaches at this age are new Dads just getting their feet wet at this crazy game, they also are not picking up pitches, and if they are, or think they are, they’re probably wrong more than half the time unless the girl throws one pitch, so what does it matter?

My DD used a 12” glove for church/rec, school, travel, and college for both pitching and SS, 12” was just the sweet spot size.

I think it’s a great size for pitching because of fielding, it’s not too big, heavy, and unwieldy that she can’t defend / protect herself!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I started out as an inexperienced softball dad and tried to find that ONE glove that would serve us well. Well, 10 years later and a lot of research done (listening to my players) and a lot of $ spent trying to find the magic glove I learned there isn't a magic glove once you get past 12U, Your backpack will likely have two or three gloves in there. 11.75, 12-12.25, and a 12.5-12.75 if you play all over. And if you catch... get a bigger bag because more gloves need to fit in there lol.
I have a pitcher and a catcher. The catcher plays some third base, so we have three in her bag: her Nokona 12.5" glove, ha LA 34 catcher's mitt, and her HOH catcher's mitt. The pitcher plays a little first base when not pitching, so we have to have the LA 13" first baseman's mitt in her bag along with her Pro Preferred.

Getting their bags below 50 lbs at the airport is always a challenge.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yes, but if my DD was a outfielder only I would look for the lightest butterfly net I could find.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Absolutely too much glove for the OP's daughter but a great deal for anyone else looking for a Six-Finger outfield glove. And....this is a fantastic Dad glove! Everyone should experience how a Six-Finger breaks in TIP!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles