Feedback on swing, how can I help her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Here are a couple from tonight. We are still struggling getting in that hitting position where the rear shoulder ends up lower. She really wants to keep her shoulders level. I pulled a couple of swings where she got close to getting there. An interesting comment she made with these swings is her swing felt slower.

She is most definitely hitting the ball harder and more cleanly than she was when we started this. Where we are right now I'm worried she's going to drive everything in to the ground.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Using a low tee will help. Take off the top extension of the tee you have OR put a ball on top of a 2-liter soda bottle/milk jug/short traffic cone etc. Also, note that for a pitch over the middle of the plate the tee is too far forward - back it up approx. 6 inches so that it is approx. even with the stride foot at contact.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
pc, your daughter is not getting off of her backside. She's spinning. Let's get her back to foot eversion while the knee fights to stay back:
eversion_inversion1312168510248.png

On the release, the rear hip fires.

Also, have her stride into the ball with the front shoulder going down. She should work under her front shoulder when she begins her swing. This will change the shoulder orientation and reset the weight to the inside of her rear thigh and keep her from lunging.

Jul 23, 2014
Thanks, this is proving to be a much tougher nut to crack here. Good news is she is trying. She's not quite sure how to do the weight transfer and shoulder plane and I'm running through tons of different ways to try and explain. We watched some videos last night together and she can at least visualize it. I was able to really appreciate how she isn't getting off her back side last night though and I think I got her to realize it as well. We'll keep working on the weight transfer.

Jul 23, 2014
I think we are back to better weight transfer but still haven't gotten the right shoulder action. Off the tee she still tends to hit them down in to the ground. She had her first Fall practice with the team and hit front toss pretty well. The majority were line drives between the gaps. She had the coach dancing pretty good as he didn't have a net to protect him. She didn't drive any higher than 20 feet or so. Her coach was very happy with her swing improvements and commented about how much better she was using her lower body and her plate coverage (inside pitches) was much improved. You guys are awesome!

We are going to a hitting coach tomorrow night to see if we can get a little further. She initially didn't want to go work with someone else but she has warmed up to the idea. I just feel like I hit a bit of a wall with this shoulder stuff, CAT, COW, etc. The more I tried to work on that the more she regressed somewhere else.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I think we are back to better weight transfer but still haven't gotten the right shoulder action. Off the tee she still tends to hit them down in to the ground. She had her first Fall practice with the team and hit front toss pretty well. The majority were line drives between the gaps. She had the coach dancing pretty good as he didn't have a net to protect him. She didn't drive any higher than 20 feet or so. Her coach was very happy with her swing improvements and commented about how much better she was using her lower body and her plate coverage (inside pitches) was much improved. You guys are awesome!

We are going to a hitting coach tomorrow night to see if we can get a little further. She initially didn't want to go work with someone else but she has warmed up to the idea. I just feel like I hit a bit of a wall with this shoulder stuff, CAT, COW, etc. The more I tried to work on that the more she regressed somewhere else.
You both did a great job, in a short time. Line drives are perfect. Keep us posted on what the hitting instructor is teaching...

Jul 23, 2014
Here are some updated in game swings from last night. We are having some trouble translating aggressive front toss swings in to the batters box. Any tips on how to get these carried over to the game?

FYI, right now we are working on the mental side. This winter we are going to try and tackle a more powerful lower body action. She coils ok right now but she doesn't really use the hips like I want. She hit both of these balls hard, but not near as hard as she hits front toss.

And, I didn't figure out until later how to get the autofocus working correctly.
[video=youtube_share;aCs8s4JNfs8]http://youtu.be/aCs8s4JNfs8[/video]

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good candidate for someone that needs to find their hands.

I could see rapid improvement taking place once she learns to work the barrel and develop a hand pivot point.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Barrel not being turned ... sent into it's swing arc.

2nl7o00.jpg

28wi3p1.gif

From here she pulls/yanks the barrel forward.

28syr05.gif

And here we see that her hands/wrists are not educated in terms of the release process going into and through contact ...

egyhvs.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole