Does every player at some point just have THAT coach..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2014
I wonder if this happens to every player at some point. There's just that coach that won't play them, no matter how hard that player works, practices and puts time in? This particular player plays on two teams, one team is a tournament team. Coaches have total confidence, player gets time. Other team is a rec team with lots of "daddy ball". Player sits. Attitude is not a problem. If anything player is too nice, maybe doesn't speak up enough?
Does this just happen sometimes? For whatever reason?

Nov 23, 2014
Seriously is true. I think it's because the coach in question had the kid a few years ago when she was just starting and weaker, and now has improved a lot, and honestly it seems like coaches kids and inner circle play. How can you go from starting in tournament to sitting in rec? Funny thing though the tournament coaches do not have kids on the team.

Apr 28, 2014
So, she's a good-attitude kid who sits in rec ball? How many players are on the rec team? Is she playing up? Otherwise, how can you be a tournament player who starts, but a rec player who sits?

I agree... maybe the REC coach has an axe to grind?
My 11 yo DD pitches in travel and this season plays REC ball. She is the only pitcher who can throw a consistent strike. In 2 of the last 3 games she threw no hitters (4 innings which is max). The other game she had a walk fest. If your kid is a travel player it should not even be close... Travel players in our REC league look like women among kids out there.
Either you have a A+ REC league or..... well you know.. :D

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Seriously is true. I think it's because the coach in question had the kid a few years ago when she was just starting and weaker, and now has improved a lot, and honestly it seems like coaches kids and inner circle play. How can you go from starting in tournament to sitting in rec? Funny thing though the tournament coaches do not have kids on the team.

Even if there is no daddy ball, there is rarely any justification for sitting players in a rec league, at least not for less than half the game. I can forgive coaches for failing to assess the talent correctly, as they might come by that honestly, but all rec players should be getting a lot of playing time. That's assuming good attitude, coming to practice, etc.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was on a Team like you described so that is probably the answer.

An alternative reason, though probably not true, is since the Player is on 2 Teams let the players only on 1 Team play more.

We haven’t seen a good TB in Rec in a while but a few years ago watching them mow down our 10U lineup was no fun. I was not sure what the purpose of it was.

Oct 22, 2009
Yes. I've witnessed this for a variety of reasons. That's why it's important to find a good fit for your DD and her team.

Apr 28, 2014
We haven’t seen a good TB in Rec in a while but a few years ago watching them mow down our 10U lineup was no fun. I was not sure what the purpose of it was.

In our case our DD is 11 playing 12U TB, our Middle School here starts at 7th grade so DD is still in elementary school while all of her teammates are in middle school. They all play school ball and due to this we don't have our first game action until the second week in May. Without REC ball she would not have pitched to live batters till then. She's pitched in 5 REC games so far. She is the only pitcher who can throw consistent strikes on the team. Our league has 46 girls on a total of 3 teams. Lot's of kids on each team. In the 3 teams there's only 2 pitchers who can consistently get the ball over the plate. I cringe to think about what would happen if our DD's who can pitch were not playing. It speaks more to our area being unable to develop pitchers and when they do, most times they abandon REC teams for good.

Sep 29, 2014
In our case our DD is 11 playing 12U TB, our Middle School here starts at 7th grade so DD is still in elementary school while all of her teammates are in middle school. They all play school ball and due to this we don't have our first game action until the second week in May. Without REC ball she would not have pitched to live batters till then. She's pitched in 5 REC games so far. She is the only pitcher who can throw consistent strikes on the team. Our league has 46 girls on a total of 3 teams. Lot's of kids on each team. In the 3 teams there's only 2 pitchers who can consistently get the ball over the plate. I cringe to think about what would happen if our DD's who can pitch were not playing. It speaks more to our area being unable to develop pitchers and when they do, most times they abandon REC teams for good.

Yeah 46 girls sounds like a 4 team league not a 3 team league. With 15 girls on a team only a few girls can even stay in the whole game assuming (since it Rec) you have mandatory play rules. My recommendation for next year is something we did right after teams were picked; for the 3 or 4 weeks before games start we had a league sponsored pitching clinic, a local pitching coach would give lessons twice a week, it cost the league a couple hundred buck but is the best investment you could make. The coach gave a pretty good discount hoping to pick up a couple long term students which she did.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Our league has 46 girls on a total of 3 teams.

They call this a re league? As in recreation? Sounds more like a torture chamber.

Fastpitch is a relatively difficult and perhaps even boring game for 12-year-olds at the rec level where pitchers are struggling. To compound that, your league is ensuring excessive boredom by setting up a league where for every at-bat, 10 players are on the field (1 batter, 9 fielders) and 20 kids are in the dugout. Sounds like an evil plot by the local soccer league to steer kids toward their sport.

This league needs to get a clue, make 4 teams, and get some help in developing pitchers. No wonder video games are so popular these days. Why depend on adults to provide entertainment when they think it's fun for kids to wait around and do almost nothing for 90 minutes on a softball field.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah