Deodorant...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
I was thinking about making sure that her equipment, isn't the problem, too. Cleats can be washed. If you don't want to throw them in the laundry, a bucket of hot soapy water will do it. If you need to, throw away the insoles and get new ones.

Check the glove for odor. There should be none. I have worn a microfiber sponge in mine before, to soak up dirt and grime.

Check the batting gloves and launder, those.

And don't forget my post where I washed my bat bag at the car wash.

I would buy her extra sports bras and sliders, and let her change, as necessary.

It's just her arm pits that smell. She sweats on her back some too...but the odor comes from the arm pits. It is Arizona...but I don't want her embarrassed. Thank you.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
If you have a Whole Foods or other natural market in your area, most carry all-vegetable based soaps. They are made mostly with coconut, palm and olive oils. Something with tea tree oil and/or peppermint to kill off the bacteria that have set up camp in the underarm area. I like the baby wipe idea - you could even go one further and swab the underarm area with alcoholic wipes - the kind nurses use before you get a shot. I'm sorry for your troubles - it's always something keeping us up at 4 a.m worrying about our daughters.

It breaks my heart to see her embarrassed. Hard enough being a girl...I hear. Let alone adding to the struggles. Thank you.

Mar 29, 2012
I feel for you, my DD stinks after a game to if she doesn't put on deoderant before we leave for the game. Have her put it on right before you get in the car to leave, and the baby wipes inbetween games is a great idea as well. She puts it on every night after her shower and then every morning before leaving for school.

Has she started shaving her arm pits yet? If not she may need to.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
I feel for you, my DD stinks after a game to if she doesn't put on deoderant before we leave for the game. Have her put it on right before you get in the car to leave, and the baby wipes inbetween games is a great idea as well. She puts it on every night after her shower and then every morning before leaving for school.

Has she started shaving her arm pits yet? If not she may need to.

She's been shaving since she turned 11...a year+ ago. I like the baby wipes idea too. We'll try that I think.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
I am in Tucson. So, I go back to my original post that had the video.

I watched the video. What a good story & outcome for that girl. I can't even imagine what she's had to endure. I need to start saving $$ just in case my kid does need that procedure. Until then, we have more options to try. :).

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
6th/7th graders are a stinky bunch by nature!

Having coached DD's SB and BB teams for a few years I agree. Seems all of them go through that stage when they have deodorant but forget to use it or expect it to last longer thank it will. I've never said anything to one of them figuring I'd wreck the kid. Most seem to outgrow it by mid-late 7th grade.

Jul 26, 2010
The smell is a product of chemistry. It's not a difficult process to put a sample of her underarm sweat on a spectrum analyzer to determine the makeup of her sweat. Once you have the results, figure out what could be creating the substances in her body's output, and eliminate them. It's either a product of what she is putting into her body, or what her metabolism is doing with what she puts in her body.

This is why those of us who've coached school sports are really good at figuring out the pot-heads, as soon as they start sweating they've given themselves away.

-W

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii