Deodorant...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
Now that I have your attention...but I have a delicate matter. My poor 12 year old daughter, no matter what we have tried, nothing seems to help her body odor. She uses the prescription roll on at night, and her regualar stuff in the morning. We've also tried just using the prescription stuff at night...alone.

Should I try different brands? Maybe use them on a rotation basis?

Is this just a temporary problem...will go away after a year or two?

Sorry, but I know there are athletic girls, and former athletes on here that may be able to help me with this one.

Thank you in advance from this concerned dad.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You say that you have a prescription, so I would go back to the doctor. Since you are in PHX, I would search out the best person possible.

I saw someone on tv, that always sweated through her clothes. She couldn't attend formal functions at all. I will search and see if I can find the story. The doctor cured her.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Does she excessively sweat or is it just more the "body odor"? I had a girl a few years ago that was a vegetarian, that girl bless her heart always smelled like a 4 day old salad left in the sun. And had gas that would make a sailor proud.

What's your DD's diet like? My wife loves to cook dishes with fresh garlic, the next day if I'm working in the yard sweating, I swear I can smell that garlic coming out of my pores. For some reason chocolate cake doesn't have that effect. :(

May 18, 2012
Arizona
Doesn't sweat excessively. "Just" body odor. I'll monitor her diet more now that you ask, but I can tell you it's nothing out of the norm.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is it really a problem, or is she just very self-conscious about normal body odor? You can assure her that after a day of playing softball nobody smells particularly good :)

If it's beyond what you would consider normal, I would see a doctor, NOT to give another prescription deodorant to cover up the symptom, but to find the CAUSE. Maybe a nutritionist or someone who specializes in functional medicine. It could be a hidden food allergy, not necessarily an obvious smelly food like garlic. I had a student with a bad BO problem at the same age and it was caused by a hormonal imbalance (which can also be made worse by food sensitivities). She could grow out of hit since she's hitting adolescence, but it may be best to have her checked just to be sure.

Oct 19, 2009
Below is a portion of an article, for full article see link.

Warning
Although body odor is generally a sign that puberty is starting, it can also be a sign of a medical condition. Metabolic disorders, in which the body cannot metabolize certain enzymes, can cause body odor. So can some parasites, such as ringworm. Also, hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) can cause body odor in some children. If your child isn't near puberty and is experiencing body odor, take her in for a check-up with her pediatrician to rule out a medical condition.
Read more: Body Odor In Children | LIVESTRONG.COM

Body Odor In Children | LIVESTRONG.COM

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
That's interesting. And worth a shot. Thank you.

The problem is the soap & or shampoo she is using... soaps is made with animal parts. The odor is your body trying to finishing defalcating them. Don't get offended, but you can prove this easy...don't use soap. Thats how I proved it to myself. Another way is to use Denorex shampoo, and just use the suds as your soap.

I would put iodine about the size of 1/2 dollar on her wrist. If it goes away in less than 2 hrs. she is deficient. Using it for deodorant is a sure way of killing odor, plus uploading needed iodine. Its what I use myself. Love your thyroid. If she is decedent she is getting it leached out of her, more than likely swimming, or drinking fluoridated water...ect

Don't go see another doctor... they already had a quack at it !!! You can also use the coconut oil and baking soda for tooth paste. Regular toothpaste leaches out iodine aswell... read the warning lables on the tube...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse