Deodorant...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, you work with Walking horses? Those guys know all the tricks of products being absorbed in the body for various uses and reasons. We have a horse farm 2 farms down from us who was the World Grand Champion winner a few years ago. Those trainers really know things that work for both equine and humans.

No , but I had one myself when I was a kid.... I worked with standard bread-harness horses & Thoroughbreds...all raced at race tracks. Yes I learned alot about medicines, tonics & lineaments, and watching their ears and tails as signs of how they were going to race that day. I never made it, but I have put my horses on the sports pages.

EP: and I also learned to love putting one 1st across the finish line, when everyone else was betting against it...thats the greatest thrill of all !

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I was thinking about making sure that her equipment, isn't the problem, too. Cleats can be washed. If you don't want to throw them in the laundry, a bucket of hot soapy water will do it. If you need to, throw away the insoles and get new ones.

Check the glove for odor. There should be none. I have worn a microfiber sponge in mine before, to soak up dirt and grime.

Check the batting gloves and launder, those.

And don't forget my post where I washed my bat bag at the car wash.

I would buy her extra sports bras and sliders, and let her change, as necessary.

Amy, nice post. My father had a similar problem in the service. His diet changed dramatically and so, he had never eaten items like garlic etc. The service started with his feet and gave him some powder etc. It didn't work. Then, they change direction and had him wash everything, change his socks often, ... In the end, everything worked out and I would have never known this story except I met an old buddy of his who told the story. I bet that this is a phase and your daughter will grow out of it.

Aug 8, 2012
Have you tried those medicated powders? Not as a cure, but as an in between? Gold Bond makes one and Shower to Shower is a less antiseptic smelling one. Not sure it will help it all. Hope you get some answers! My bet is she grows out of it. 6th/7th graders are a stinky bunch by nature!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
OMG I just mentioned your story to my dw. She went crazy "it's something in her diet, her body is reacting!" "She needs to see a holistic something or other. Doctors won't cure her, they'll just treat the symptoms!" She was a dietician when she worked, livin the high life now (just kidding, I'm broke). She is a vegan and honestly a lot of what she says is interesting, one of her best friends was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago. She got her going on a vegan diet and seeing her holistic dude, now her tumor is almost gone and she says this last year, while having cancer, she has never felt better.
I would love to follow her diet, but I love steak, burgers, brats, hot dogs, cheese, ribs, beer, ham, bacon.....
Anyway, if her stuff sounds interesting I can have her suggest some books or something.

I used to shuttle one of the neighbor's kids back and forth from practices with DD and that kid stank after she had played whatever sport they were playing. I mean, roll down my window in 107 degree heat and ignore the air conditioning stink. She didn't stink before but only when she played. If it is just when she plays then is it that big of a deal? They are supposed to stink when they play hard, right?

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
I think the baby wipe idea was a good one, use 3 or 4 after each game, wipe down and re-deodorant. My DD carries her deodorant in her bat bag & uses it after each game. Let me tell you she has stunk to high heaven before, we even left a game to go get some deodorant for her! After a long day in the sun, Lord help us all when she takes her cleats off, your almost willing to jump out of the moving car! LOL!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How many of you ever wash those cleats? Pull the insole out, it is not unusual for me to find mold on the insole and in the shoe. Shoes should not stink.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
How many of you ever wash those cleats? Pull the insole out, it is not unusual for me to find mold on the insole and in the shoe. Shoes should not stink.

Soccer is much much worse for moldy cleats. I swear my dd always plays before the dew is off the grass. The best thing we do is remove the insoles, stuff the shoes with newspaper, and set them out in the sun.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
If you have a Whole Foods or other natural market in your area, most carry all-vegetable based soaps. They are made mostly with coconut, palm and olive oils. Something with tea tree oil and/or peppermint to kill off the bacteria that have set up camp in the underarm area. I like the baby wipe idea - you could even go one further and swab the underarm area with alcoholic wipes - the kind nurses use before you get a shot. I'm sorry for your troubles - it's always something keeping us up at 4 a.m worrying about our daughters.

Apr 1, 2010
I was driving home from practice once and wasn't particularly paying attention to what DD was doing in the passenger seat. After a while I started to smell the most horrible odor, sort of like passing a dead skunk in the road, but it wasn't going away. Eventually I realized that she had kicked her cleats off and placed her feet over the air conditioning vents so that the blowing air was coming out around her stinky feet!

I'm going to have a look under those insoles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26