DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Same girl a year ago when she was 14 yo.

Now:

102915%20-%20Baily%20hitting_1.gif

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Nope.. her core movement in the pre clip is working within the s-plane.. Her current swing is all frontal plane (catcher/pitcher).

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
But...but...she doesn't have a leveling issue in the before clip. TM said he fixed a leveling issue in one lesson. does this mean he lied?

I remember this kid BTW. She always seemed like she had great basics. I forget who her dad is but I thought he was a DFP member as well as HI.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
But...but...she doesn't have a leveling issue in the before clip. TM said he fixed a leveling issue in one lesson. does this mean he lied?
JJ, the big lie is his claim to having "ANY" student(s). He swings in his socks, while in his living room or at the pool hall. He doesn't go to the field, he doesn't go to any training facility, he doesn't throw bp. He's an out of shape blowhard. And he's been exposed once again - trying to build up his battered ego.

Feb 3, 2013
So we are in somewhat of a stalled mode now...

I know some of you guys\gals may laugh, but the ONLY way I can consistently keep her from flattening the bat right from the start is by holding the PVC pipe behind her...

The PVC keeps her front shoulder down and the barrel from dumping...albeit she feels very nonathletic with the PVC hoovering behind her so I don;t over do the PVC - I don't want to coach the athleticism out of her...

This is from earlier today:

6f35hw.gif
34482t4.gif

She is squaring pretty much everything so I don't say much...her confidence is through the roof right now...that's not to say we are satisfied...she watches these clips too...I showed her these clips side by side with Francisco Lindor...she gets it even if she's not getting it...

Today we talked about the extra stretch and reviewed poking the right elbow back a touch. We spent a few minutes on the Yeagar rear arm usage drill where I move her elbow back and forth while holding her hands still with the barrel pretty upright while she moves out.

...journey continues...

Positive comments welcome...CP

A weakness of many young girls is that they follow instruction. Their trusting optimism has them following a path away from natural patterns and athleticism.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
That's right "Marcus". Creating and using cues such as "poke" - the elbow, OR "pinch" the scap - is nothing more than unnatural way of keeping the hands back :rolleyes: Why not focus on the hands themselves? Where the hands are in space and time?

In addition, those poor cues force the hitter to HIDE the hands, which ultimately exacerbates the issues a young lady such as this has in the first place. Forcing her to swing around even more than she normally does.

CP, I was hopeful that you would get back to step 1 and then allow her to start teaching herself. The fact that she had begun to square more balls after those initial sessions should have been a tell-tail...

Good Luck going forward.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
TDS, could you please use the two clips to explain what you mean by sagittal and frontal plane swings? And if you can also: the differences in "core" movement you point out. I'm sure you have done this before but this is a rare chance to compare and contrast with same girl in two side by side swings. Could be very helpful -- to me at least : )

My "complaint" would be that you now drop this idea into threads and I'm not sure most would know exactly what you mean -- it's not a term or concept that is typically used anywhere in regards to hitting, I think you can admit. So when you do that it doesn't necessarily advance the conversation except for those "in the know" -- and we always have new people dropping in, as well as people like me that are looking for clearer understanding. I hang out here a lot and it doesn't totally register with me.

So a really good A vs. B explanation, with pictures or drawings on these two swings, would be great. I'd like to understand. I'd also love how to understand how you translate the concept to an actual hitter, because I'm sure you don't use the words sagittal plane in the cage. How do you get a girl to perform a swing that works through the sagittal plane?

TKS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse