DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
Planes, Trains and Automobiles have no place in discussing hitting! There are much better terms to describe the same thing! Its just an attempt to confuse and seem smarter than on really is!

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
Same girl a year ago when she was 14 yo.

Now:

102915%20-%20Baily%20hitting_1.gif

Now that I have looked at it again what I am looking at here is swing 1 Takes much longer to get to the ball. She is launching the barrel much later. I see the barrel going almost down her back. Towards her spine. You have to know that that is a much longer launch window!

Swing #2 does have some pushing of the hands but she launches or GOs much soon, much more explosive in swing 2.

I don't like the sway of the knee pinch in swing 2. That pinch can be done to activate the coil without the sway. Not sure if that's taught or not but it is present in this current swing.

If this was accomplished in 1 lesson I want this guys card!

Last edited:

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
X2604-P-27.jpg
TDS, could you please use the two clips to explain what you mean by sagittal and frontal plane swings? And if you can also: the differences in "core" movement you point out. I'm sure you have done this before but this is a rare chance to compare and contrast with same girl in two side by side swings. Could be very helpful -- to me at least : )

My "complaint" would be that you now drop this idea into threads and I'm not sure most would know exactly what you mean -- it's not a term or concept that is typically used anywhere in regards to hitting, I think you can admit. So when you do that it doesn't necessarily advance the conversation except for those "in the know" -- and we always have new people dropping in, as well as people like me that are looking for clearer understanding. I hang out here a lot and it doesn't totally register with me.

So a really good A vs. B explanation, with pictures or drawings on these two swings, would be great. I'd like to understand. I'd also love how to understand how you translate the concept to an actual hitter, because I'm sure you don't use the words sagittal plane in the cage. How do you get a girl to perform a swing that works through the sagittal plane?

TKS.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
Rick

Look at it like this, The transverse Plane is horizontal rotation around a vertical axis.

Sagittal Plane is a vertical plane that divides the body into left and right portions, When you are walking you are in the sagittal plane, This is flexion and extension. You are moving about a frontal/horizontal axis, not to be confused with the vertical axis of the transverse plane.

So point is I dont think we need to go there with hitting.

Aug 28, 2012
But...but...she doesn't have a leveling issue in the before clip. TM said he fixed a leveling issue in one lesson. does this mean he lied?

I remember this kid BTW. She always seemed like she had great basics. I forget who her dad is but I thought he was a DFP member as well as HI.

Yeah... don't kid yourself that this was some kind of miracle transformation in 1 lesson in a vacuum. In addition to HI, the dad was active and reading here, BBD, BBF going back to 2012 and 2013.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
uh oh...TM is over there finger painting his walls with his own scat now. Must have touched a nerve. Not sure from his posts if he knows they are the same kid or not. If there is another news story about a violent rampage today my money is on it being in St. Louis and involves a man standing outside a pool hall hitting cueballs with a tripod at passing cars.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
uh oh...TM is over there finger painting his walls with his own scat now. Must have touched a nerve. Not sure from his posts if he knows they are the same kid or not. If there is another news story about a violent rampage today my money is on it being in St. Louis and involves a man standing outside a pool hall hitting cueballs with a tripod at passing cars.

lmfffffaaao! Im joining that site right now!

You forgot while calling people idiots and he will definitely been in his socks ( sock footed while hes doing this )

I think it would be funny for others to add to these details. So far we have as follows.

Said TeacherMan guy has just finished finger painting his walls with his own scat, proceeds to hit cue balls with a tri pod ( swung in the TM way and not the Ebook way ) at cars while in his socks and calling people idiots.

Does anyone have anything else to add??? lmao!

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Rick

Look at it like this, The transverse Plane is horizontal rotation around a vertical axis.

Sagittal Plane is a vertical plane that divides the body into left and right portions, When you are walking you are in the sagittal plane, This is flexion and extension. You are moving about a frontal/horizontal axis, not to be confused with the vertical axis of the transverse plane.

So point is I dont think we need to go there with hitting.

Except that we do. It's a simple concept using terms that are easily defined. the difference in the 2 swings are apparent if you know where to look.

When Rdbass advises to swing out from as opposed around - what planes are he referring to?

And oh and btw - this clip is missing frames - it looks so sudden though huh?

102915%20-%20Baily%20hitting_1.gif

Last edited: