D1 pitcher wearing mask in game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have an interesting question. Not meant as anything other than a request for info. Not a trick question

Riseball, does the new stud pitcher headed to SC plan to wear a mask in the circle at SC?

No. She cannot even wear sunglasses. FWIW - If she was starting over again at 11yo she would be. :)

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Thanks for the info. I understand what you mean. Hard to readjust.

She probably will be fine, and I sincerely hope that no players on any team are ever seriously hurt.
I wish her three things at SC, ending with the most important.

3. I hope she has a great softball career.
2. I hope she does well in her studies.
1. I hope she is safe and healthy.

Jan 7, 2014
I have yet to find one that will go on record with that statement. With over 5,000 college coaches you think there would be at least 1 or 2.

For what it's worth, here's an advertisement for a "no masks allowed" clinic that was held in our area last fall:

Georgetown University Asst Coach Erica Ayers leading Throwing/Fielding Clinics

Throwing and Fielding Clinics will take place at the Pure Performance facility on Tuesdays from 6-7pm (11-12yr old) and 7-8pm (8-10yr old) from Sept 24th - Oct 22nd. These 5 week defensive clinics are designed first and foremost to BUILD CONFIDENCE in the players ability to catch and throw the softball. Skill level of the player will determine the drills, but the goal is to improve the balance, efficiency, momentum and ease with which young players play defense. Each session will include drills to develop quick balanced feet, soft hands and smooth transitions into throwing. Special note: Infielders will NOT be allowed to wear masks during these sessions. Only 6 players allowed per clinic.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
For what it's worth, here's an advertisement for a "no masks allowed" clinic that was held in our area last fall:

Throwing and Fielding Clinics will take place at the Pure Performance facility on Tuesdays from 6-7pm (11-12yr old) and 7-8pm (8-10yr old) from Sept 24th - Oct 22nd. These 5 week defensive clinics are designed first and foremost to BUILD CONFIDENCE in the players ability to catch and throw the softball. Skill level of the player will determine the drills, but the goal is to improve the balance, efficiency, momentum and ease with which young players play defense. Each session will include drills to develop quick balanced feet, soft hands and smooth transitions into throwing. Special note: Infielders will NOT be allowed to wear masks during these sessions. Only 6 players allowed per clinic.

Georgetown went 15-32 this year (5-14 in their conference). Why would you pay to go to this clinic, especially if you thought the coaches have a preconceived bias? I would not waste my money. The point is we all have a choice about the coaches our DDs play for in travel ball, and our DDs have a choice when it comes to college. Why play for someone who asks you to do something you are not comfortable with?

May 20, 2015

haha I'd love to hear the rationale behind that

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I knew/watched players on Georgetown and that comment is insulting. They and the coaches have a lot they can teach--if you want to go on win-loss records for who should teach, then I would fire 50 percent of the 10u-14u coaches for a start.

There are outdoor training balls now that are like softees, and a lot of drills that would not create risk, so don't jump to any conclusions. It could even be indoors where those are required. The coaches know full well about liability. Finally, you try taking some of the Georgetown coursework and play softball at the same time. You also try and get softball players who can even meet their academic standards. And who want to play at a school that does not even have its own field.

I bet their clinics are full, so they don't need your kid.

Spin it any way you want, but not ALLOWING a kid to wear protective gear for a clinic is enough for me to think of them as punks. Sounds like they can teach to keep an out of date stereotype in place.

Even if they are using softies, why not allow a mask?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I knew/watched players on Georgetown and that comment is insulting. They and the coaches have a lot they can teach--if you want to go on win-loss records for who should teach, then I would fire 50 percent of the 10u-14u coaches for a start.

There are outdoor training balls now that are like softees, and a lot of drills that would not create risk, so don't jump to any conclusions. It could even be indoors where those are required. The coaches know full well about liability. Finally, you try taking some of the Georgetown coursework and play softball at the same time. You also try and get softball players who can even meet their academic standards. And who want to play at a school that does not even have its own field.

I bet their clinics are full, so they don't need your kid.

If you are endorsing their clinics as you have HE pitching mechanics people would do well to take your advice with a grain of salt an abundance of caution.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
No. She cannot even wear sunglasses. FWIW - If she was starting over again at 11yo she would be. :)

Mask, sunglasses, or both?

I understand the college players not wanting the mask, but I do NOT understand how some go out on a hot sunny day without a good pair of shades.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Mask, sunglasses, or both?

I understand the college players not wanting the mask, but I do NOT understand how some go out on a hot sunny day without a good pair of shades.

I agree. I can't leave the house without them but she and others go out for hours. Would think their eyes would get fatigued. Maybe that is why she was never a great hitter? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321