Confront a coach or not to confront?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Simple question to the coach, "What does my daughter have to do to get some playing time?"

Nope!!!

DD: "Coach, What do I need to improve on to get more playing time?"

Coach: "Sally.. You need to do this and that to get more time"

DD: "Dad can we go work on this and that?"

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
There are a lot of paths here. Not sure which one is right. I think in this case I would only approach to the coach to thanks them for the opportunity and if she does not play on game day (which based on being a 9th grader you COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND) could she still get some game time reps on JV because you feel playing time helps them when younger as well. It may not be an opportunity and if not then I say stay on Varsity and use TB team as her playing time. I think sometimes we forget that when most of us were in 9th grade we had only one option in our sports of choice....PLAY JV first. Had many of us been selected to play Varsity early, even when it was only to slowly blend us in with the older players and the system for the future then we probably would've done it. The fact she is there makes a statement. Sometimes you still have to take your lumps and wait your turn. And that means continuing work HARD through the whole process. Not giving all because we are not "Playing" is not acceptable. You either quit or put it all out there. No middle ground. No complaints. I was pulled up in my HS sport as a 9th grader. It was because I never quit in practice. The HC wanted me to push the older players in practice with my effort not to start because he felt I was still too young and needed to grow more physically as well as learn his systems. I did not know that at the time. I did not play that year. But it was a privilege to be one of only three 9th graders pulled up. We soon learned how tough a privilege courtesy of all the Senior starters in practice.... :p

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
O boy! Parent at meeting for HS sports got mad at AD when she said that parents can't talk to coaches about playing time ...thank goodness parent wasn't from my team......Parent used some words, comparing it not to Hitler himself, but close.

AD answer was that the player can ask the coach about how to improve. Now that's an idea.

Did they also say that they have "zero-tolerance" policy? That is a favorite of administrators seeking to hide from having to exercise proper judgement and common sense.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010
Way too early to approach coach. She is a freshman. Maybe the other Freshman will sit next tournament and your daughter will get the time in play. Maybe it's based on position, attitude, attendance etc. I wouldn't even have her ask at this point. It's the first outing of the year. See where it goes in the next few games.

Oct 18, 2009
O boy! Parent at meeting for HS sports got mad at AD when she said that parents can't talk to coaches about playing time ...thank goodness parent wasn't from my team......Parent used some words, comparing it not to Hitler himself, but close.

AD answer was that the player can ask the coach about how to improve. Now that's an idea.

I'm not sure whats in place for our HS but I would like this policy of parents not able to speak to coaches about playing time and players speaking to the coach of how they can improve instead. It helps prevent parents from screwing things up for their kids and teaches kids to take their HS career into their own hands. I know in travel its mostly the parents that get the kids kicked off teams and not so much the kids.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I suppose the other way to think about it is this way: suppose you are the parent of the other player who has played for you in travel ball. If their DD is as good as your DD, who gets the nod on your team about playing time and preferred positions? Now that you are in their place (or in the place of any other parent whose DD plays the same position as yours), think about whether they have the same gripe about your DD and playing time compared to theirs. If they were gracious enough to hold their tongue because you are the HC, you need to give the HS HC (and the other parents) the same courtesy. That is what I would consider "fair".

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Handling parents and answering questions about playing time comes with the HC job. Only the inept and cowards hide behind "policies" designed to avoid accountability. If Sally is riding the pine and you as a coach can't handle a conversation with a parent you need to go coach the chess club. Grow a spine and do your job.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Handling parents and answering questions about playing time comes with the HC job. Only the inept and cowards hide behind "policies" designed to avoid accountability. If Sally is riding the pine and you as a coach can't handle a conversation with a parent you need to go coach the chess club. Grow a spine and do your job.

Was this directed at my post? If so, read again - I said now that he is in the parents position, think about how the other parents may have felt if his DD and their DD had the same skill set, and whether they might have had the same gripe as he does now. If they never said anything to him because they "deferred" to his judgment, he needs to step back and give the HS head coach the same courtesy, especially since it is out of line at this point for him to go "confront" the HC.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Was this directed at my post? If so, read again - I said now that he is in the parents position, think about how the other parents may have felt if his DD and their DD had the same skill set, and whether they might have had the same gripe as he does now. If they never said anything to him because they "deferred" to his judgment, he needs to step back and give the HS head coach the same courtesy, especially since it is out of line at this point for him to go "confront" the HC.

No. Not directed at your post. Nothing wrong with deferring to the judgement of the coach. My point is that failing that deferment the HC should be prepared to have that conversation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes