Coming soon to a softball field near you!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Forgive me, because you're one of the best posters here, but this might be one of the dumbest rants I've ever read.

In my opinion, a boy who is pretending to be TG has no business playing girl's sports. But a true TG, one who is female to the depths of her soul, who has gone through the effort of integrating herself, taking hormones, etc., and who currently does not have hormone levels consistent with males, should be allowed to participate with the rest of the girls- because she is also a girl.

Agree 100%. If that is truly who they are I take no issue. The question is how do you prevent those who simply say that is what are from abusing the system? Now before people say it will not happen let me remind you of the NAACP leader who falsely claimed she was black to obtain a position, and the Senator from Massachusetts who lied about being American Indian for politically expediency. In both of these examples the rationale given what that is who they identified as and who their actual ethnicity did not matter.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2013
Agree 100%. If that is truly who they are I take no issue. The question is how do you prevent those who simply say that is what are from abusing these system. Now before people say it will not happen let me remind you of the NAACP leader who falsely claimed she was black to obtain a position, and the Senator from Massachusetts who lied about being American Indian for politically expediency.

If that were to happen, I would hope that the administrators of the sports organization where it happens would take the steps needed to shut it down. Take, for example, the Jackie Robinson Little League team that went to the World Series a couple of years ago with a travel team instead of a community team. Little League stepped in and made some corrections. I think that's a similar happenstance, even if the particular offense is slightly different.

I see your point, however, because even in that happenstance, other teams were prevented from going to the World Series because they were defeated by that team of cheaters. The question then, is, do you need to have specific rules in place to prevent that activity before it happens? And how do you write those rules in a manner that doesn't go too far in the opposite direction, and end up preventing legit TGs from being allowed to participate?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Agree 100%. If that is truly who they are I take no issue. The question is how do you prevent those who simply say that is what are from abusing these system. Now before people say it will not happen let me remind you of the NAACP leader who falsely claimed she was black to obtain a position, and the Senator from Massachusetts who lied about being American Indian for politically expediency.

I already have to fill out about 50 stupid forms already to allow my DD to play HS sports in Florida. Plus get her a medical and maybe do some extra hoop jumping.

Asking for medical justification isn't a big deal for the exceedingly rare case of a TG student wanting to play sports. It is not like in a HS community it is going to be a some big secret if they are openly TG. You have to be pretty sure and dedicated to go through that social stigma. Just saying you are is already not enough - and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Pretending that it 'might' sometime in the future is a very big leap.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
If that were to happen, I would hope that the administrators of the sports organization where it happens would take the steps needed to shut it down. Take, for example, the Jackie Robinson Little League team that went to the World Series a couple of years ago with a travel team instead of a community team. Little League stepped in and made some corrections. I think that's a similar happenstance, even if the particular offense is slightly different.

I see your point, however, because even in that happenstance, other teams were prevented from going to the World Series because they were defeated by that team of cheaters. The question then, is, do you need to have specific rules in place to prevent that activity before it happens? And how do you write those rules in a manner that doesn't go too far in the opposite direction, and end up preventing legit TGs from being allowed to participate?

There are rules in place to prevent this before it happens, but the people enforcing those rules will take a small donation to overlook the issue. The world is corrupt.

In my opinion if your Birth Certificate says Female then you are until your death a Female for the purpose of identification of sex on forms, applications and sports to name a few. Vice Versa for Males. I understand how people may identify opposite of their natural born sex and I support that. However, you can identify as a female, carry on in life as a female but you should still be required to play male sports if that's what you were classified as at birth.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I already have to fill out about 50 stupid forms already to allow my DD to play HS sports in Florida. Plus get her a medical and maybe do some extra hoop jumping.

Asking for medical justification isn't a big deal for the exceedingly rare case of a TG student wanting to play sports. It is not like in a HS community it is going to be a some big secret if they are openly TG. You have to be pretty sure and dedicated to go through that social stigma. Just saying you are is already not enough - and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Pretending that it 'might' sometime in the future is a very big leap.

Where in the process you described is the gender verified and those who are TG required to submit medical documentation? What exactly is the objective litmus test to determine who is eligible female sports and who is not? I know that in NFHS, ASA, PGF, and the other alphabets it does not exist.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not saying they do not exist, but I have yet to see or hear of any such rules.

Ok.. NCAA policy:
NCAA Policy
- A trans male (FTM) student-athlete who ischemically transitioning may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team.
- A trans female (MTF) student-athlete who is chemically transitioning may continue to compete on a men’s team but may not compete on a women’s team until completing one calendar year
of testosterone suppression treatment.
- Any transgender student-athlete who is not taking hormone treatment related to gender transition may participate in accordance with his or her assigned birth gender

(excerpted from the NCAA Inclusion of Transgender Athletes Handbook, NCAA Office of Inclusion (www.ncaapublications.org)

According to the NHFS 13 States and District of Columbia have policies in place as of the end of 2015 but didn't name the states... looking to see if I can find out who and what they are...

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Not saying they do not exist, but I have yet to see or hear of any such rules.

My comment was in reference to little league and not a higher level such as NCAA. The rules are residential based on address and age. There has been numerous violations of these rules in little league.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
According to the NHFS 13 States and District of Columbia have policies in place as of the end of 2015 but didn't name the states... looking to see if I can find out who and what they are...

Found it: Specific policies
California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, maine, minnesota, New Jersey, New mexico,Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington

Laws in place that are relevant:
Connecticut, Delaware, maryland, massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Wisconsin,California, Connecticut, Florida, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania

There are a few others as well. It is a surprisingly well covered field.

And just for you Riseball... it is in the FHSAA handbook for Florida High School:
4.3.4.1 The Gender Identity Eligibility Committee.

Jun 11, 2013
As I said earlier, I actually get the potential locker room issues think in the few cases that it occurs I think it will work out. I just don't think that parents who find out that their
kids are transgender are going to instantly start looking for Gold softball teams to get their TG child on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff