Coming soon to a softball field near you!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
My DD played with a young girl 5-6 years ago. The umpire told this girl how lucky "he" was to be playing softball with all the girls. This young girl is now going by a boys name and living as a boy. They were 6-7 year olds back then.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I agree with the National High School Federation's position on it:

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/developing-policies-for-transgender-students-on-high-school-teams/

''Transgender girls (who were assigned a male gender at birth) are not boys. Their consistent and affirmed gender identity as girls is as deep-seated as the gender identity of non-transgender girls. The belief that transgender girls are not “real” girls is sometimes expressed as a concern that allowing transgender girls to compete on girls teams displaces opportunities for “real” girls to participate.

The fear that non-transgender boys will pretend to be girls in order to “dominate” girls teams has never been an issue at any level of sport and should not be used as a justification to restrict the participation of transgender students. Most well-developed policies require that students who identify as transgender demonstrate a consistent female gender identity in everyday life verified by parents and/or health-care professionals. This requirement effectively eliminates the unlikely situation where a boy pretends to be a girl to play on a girls team.''

NHSF allows states to make their own rules. Only about 13 state federations have policies that allow transgenders a realistic avenue to participate with their identified gender.

There was a post about lawsuits that might arise from a transgender girl injuring a pitcher with a line drive.

Is that not also a concern when you have a girl who has signed to play with Tennessee batting against a B-level high school pitcher? Or even a rec pitcher who is the best that the opposing high school has to offer? Or a pitcher who throws 62 mph facing a rec-level player who might have trouble getting out of the way of a pitch? Is that more likely to happen than a transgender student-athlete injuring someone?

I do get the concern of the Alaska girl who believed it was unfair. She expressed that very well. I just believe more good comes from accepting transgenders for who they are and including them than by not.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
I agree....

There are really some unintended consequences of this transgender stuff. Women have fought for years to have the same opportunities as men in athletics and now the potential risk that the progress is thrown away so that males who feel like women can participate in female sports. It's absurd.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I agree with the National High School Federation's position on it:

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/developing-policies-for-transgender-students-on-high-school-teams/

''Transgender girls (who were assigned a male gender at birth) are not boys. Their consistent and affirmed gender identity as girls is as deep-seated as the gender identity of non-transgender girls. The belief that transgender girls are not “real” girls is sometimes expressed as a concern that allowing transgender girls to compete on girls teams displaces opportunities for “real” girls to participate.

The fear that non-transgender boys will pretend to be girls in order to “dominate” girls teams has never been an issue at any level of sport and should not be used as a justification to restrict the participation of transgender students. Most well-developed policies require that students who identify as transgender demonstrate a consistent female gender identity in everyday life verified by parents and/or health-care professionals. This requirement effectively eliminates the unlikely situation where a boy pretends to be a girl to play on a girls team.''

NHSF allows states to make their own rules. Only about 13 state federations have policies that allow transgenders a realistic avenue to participate with their identified gender.

There was a post about lawsuits that might arise from a transgender girl injuring a pitcher with a line drive.

Is that not also a concern when you have a girl who has signed to play with Tennessee batting against a B-level high school pitcher? Or even a rec pitcher who is the best that the opposing high school has to offer? Or a pitcher who throws 62 mph facing a rec-level player who might have trouble getting out of the way of a pitch? Is that more likely to happen than a transgender student-athlete injuring someone?

I do get the concern of the Alaska girl who believed it was unfair. She expressed that very well. I just believe more good comes from accepting transgenders for who they are and including them than by not.

While I agree with everything you said, I do feel uncomfortable with a born male being in the same dressing/locker room as my DD and the rest of the girls changing into uniforms, showering etc. whether they are transgender or not. Personally, I think many of us feel the same way even though as a nation, we are far behind most of the rest of the world in acceptance of nudity, sex, sexual gender and so on. It's okay in theory or principle to allow them to play but now we've opened a whole unintended can of worms.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
''Transgender girls (who were assigned a male gender at birth) are not boys."

They make it sound like it was some type of administrative error. Like when softball.com sends you the wrong size bat or when they misspell a name on a drivers license at the DMV. When did this become about what you think you are and not what you are? Is this the beginning of the end of Women's sports?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2015
DNA should be the determining factor between which sport an individual plays. It doesn't lie and cannot be altered. All this "feel good" BS is the same reason nobody loses, you cannot keep score, and everyone gets a trophy.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have very mixed feelings about this.

There are several problems:

(1) There is a HUGE difference in abilities between post-adolescent males and females. Chris Everett used to practice with her brother all the time. She was #1 in the world for women. He wasn't even in the top 100 for men. He always won. Every time. A good but not great male player is equivalent to an exceptional female player.

(2) The locker room issue, brought up earlier. A HS player will not have had surgery. We are talking about a biological male in a girls' locker room, and apparently anyone who complains is evil. I am about as liberal as it comes, and my family has some same-sex marriage friends and relatives, but the "ick" factor is real.

(3) When there is contact, things can go badly very fast. Imagine if Caitlyn Jenner were to play on a seniors softball team, and crash into home plate to knock the ball out of some old lady catcher's mitt. Tranny rolls over granny.

(4) Kids that age are sometimes just confused. My kids know an interesting couple. It was a boy with a girlfriend. Then the boy decides he's really a girl, but keeps the same girlfriend, same thing just he says he's a girl dating a girl and his/her girlfriend says she is NOT a lesbian, she's just dating the same guy...

I am all in favor of treating people, no matter how different they are, with the utmost respect. However, at some point the rights of others have to be taken into consideration, and in many cases they are not. Not only that, but girls who complain about transsexuals in their locker rooms are called transphobic and their concerns are not considered. Even worse is the MMA ladies who are smeared because they don't want to get beaten up by former men who still have broader shoulders and stronger arms and are just plain bigger.

In Wisconsin, someone who has (a) been living as a girl for at least a year and is (b) taking hormone therapy can play on the opposite sex team. That is pretty good, but I don't think the trans M-F should be eligible for womens' athletic scholarships.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00