Coming soon to a softball field near you!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is a good discussion. It would be very easy to jump into all kinds of other social/political issues. Please do not jump into areas that are not directly related to school athletics.

Thanks!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
We have a few trans kids in my school. I had one of them as my language partner in my Spanish class in school. She had said about wanting to join the softball team next year.

Nov 29, 2009
My DD played HS ball against a girl who was a better golfer than pitcher. Post HS she won many long driving competitions. After a while trans gender competitors were showing up on a regular basis. I read an interview with her and she pretty much quit the competitions because of them. Citing the physical differences leaning the playing field that way.

May 13, 2012
My DD played HS ball against a girl who was a better golfer than pitcher. Post HS she won many long driving competitions. After a while trans gender competitors were showing up on a regular basis. I read an interview with her and she pretty much quit the competitions because of them. Citing the physical differences leaning the playing field that way.

I think this the concern of most concerning fair play. TG may be taking x to increase their transformation but until complete there is still testosterone in the system that could, maybe be higher than that of born female. Muscle mass and strength could, can be greater. While all this can be said and true comparing two born females at least it is still apple to apple comparison. TG to born female is not apple to apple. Regardless of Drs comments, rules, and any oversight a school tries to put in place I don't want my DD being involved when they miss, ignore, or otherwise fiND out that the TG in the locker room, hotel room on team trip, etc was up to no good after all. To late then.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I do not see actual TG's as a real threat. As others have said they are very few in numbers. The concern I have is the lack of objective and consistent standards and those that would seek to exploit that shortcoming. The other issue is that in order to make TG's comfortable and foster an "inclusive environment" the impact on the non TG participants seem to be of little concern. But I must say that there is something fundamentally wrong with expecting a teenage girl to accept an anatomically male teammate into their High School locker room.

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
I'm going to ask my 16 yr old dd thsee questions. Assuming the TG does not act flamboyant over the top, or like a boy. For all intent and purpose if you didn't look below the waist the TG acts like one of the girls
1. How would you feel with an anatomical correct male TG in the locker room while changing or showering?
2. Same as above but being assigned to same hotel room on overnight trip.
3. Losing your spot to the TG in the starting line up.
I'll report answers later.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'll predict the answers. 1 She would change and shower somewhere else or at home.
2 she would ask for another room or group of roomates since many times it's 2 to a bed.
3 PI$$ED OFF!

Since this country is so hung-up on nudity, sex, being 6 feet tall, 105 pounds compared to the rest of the world and many girls already embarrassed by their body even though they are fit, trim and athletically solid, it should come as no surprise to you that many of them are already self-conscious and are embarrassed to change/shower with their peers let alone a supposed TG boy.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
1. How would you feel with an anatomical correct male TG in the locker room while changing or showering?
2. Same as above but being assigned to same hotel room on overnight trip.
3. Losing your spot to the TG in the starting line up.

These are questions about a hypothetical transgender girl. What if it were a real transgender girl that your daughter knew and respected? What if it were Jazz Jennings, the 16-year-old transgender girl in the reality TV show 'I am Jazz,' if anyone has seen that. I suspect that the answers would be much different depending on a person's experiences with transgender girls. I'd bet the answers you get from teammates of this Alaska track runner and the California shortstop would be pretty positive and accepting, much moreso than those who've never experienced it.

Also, you're not likely to be assigned a hotel room with any teammate that you don't feel comfortable with, regardless. So I don't think #2 is a fair question, especially regarding a hypothetical person. And how often do HS sports teams shower together? I guess it happens, but my DD (sophomore) has never experienced that situation through middle or high school sports. But, she said she wouldn't take issue with it, assuming it was a person that she liked and respected. I asked her how she'd feel if Jazz beat her out for her position in softball. "It's fine,'' she says. "She's a girl.''

Jun 19, 2013
The one thing I do know about young TG people - especially teenagers - is that they have a long medical history from psychiatrists, mental health professionals and so on as they and their parents learn to adjust and deal with this. I don't know any of them who have had it easy. I believe it is required as well if you want to go down this path. You can't just go "Oh I am a XXX" and away you go - the school system requires more than that.

This is no longer accurate from what we are seeing in HS in the Pacific NW. It may not be common yet in your neck of the woods but in liberal land we are inundated and it's coming your way. My oldest DD is dealing with this in choir and in theater. Where the students just jump ship and show up in a tux instead of a dress one week and everyone must accept it. The ones we have dealt with up close so far have parents who are out of touch single mom's who have done very little parenting and have opted out of raising these two individuals (I'm not saying this is typical of all TG's but just showing that we are experiencing situations where a couple of kids are not going through some special process to make sure they are who they say they are feeling like - and the schools must bow down to their demands). They complain because they aren't getting the parts that they want and are being discriminated against (ie. they want a solo part but don't have the voice to get the solo they try out for, or want the leading roles but don't have the acting ability and are saying that it is because of their TG status when it's not). It is hitting our sports teams this next year and it's causing a lot of confusion for the athletes and coaches - if they aren't good and they don't get a spot will I be sued?

How is it right for a girl to get cut from a team because a boy wants her spot. And why does my daughter's right to privacy not count for anything? but the demands of someone who refuses to use a private individual bathroom takes precedence?!

I think Riseball has hit the nail on the head when he says we have opened a giant can of worms where people can identify however they want and change their mind when it's convenient. Who's to say anything?

Don't even get me started on the automatic scholarships my oldest DD could have received for simply checking a couple boxes, this is NOT an exaggeration. She could have had an automatic $4,000 more for saying she was a TG, lesbian or bi. How is that for fair?? they value diversity more than straight A students that have worked hard for the last 4 years. This is the world we live in now.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Any system that can be abused for some gain WILL be abused.
The castrati opera singers are a thing of the past, and the East German women's Olympic team no longer exists, but, those are examples of serious damage done to people's bodies to get advantage in an art or sport.
PEDs in sports are a more modern example.

Somewhere along the line somebody will take whatever hormones are necessary in order to be a great female athlete. If you don't think this is true, do you really believe that there are no countries on earth where a very good male athlete wouldn't be pressured to take some pills to become a great female athlete?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283