Catcher struggling to catch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Another thing to check is to see if she is catching the ball in the proper location. Many times when players come from other positions, they catch the ball in the web, instead of between the index finger and thumb. I have all of my catchers begin their drills with a bucket of baseballs (even softball players). Tennis balls or incrediballs work too. Soft toss them the balls with the catcher receiving bare handed. This reinforces receiving the ball in the proper location. Start out slow and have them work on proper form. Then after 10-15, rapidly toss them until the bucket is gone (or their legs give up)

Example:

Feb 5, 2013
The glove itself, how well it's broken in, and HOW it is broken in can make a huge difference. If she has access to other players mitts, have her try them to see if she notices any difference.

Dec 19, 2012
We have a catcher that is very athletic, has a tremendous work ethic, and great heart. She has been taking catching lessons and is working her butt off to secure our starting catcher job(this is one of our biggest positions we struggle at).
She has improved dramatically and it is evident that her hard work is paying.
However, too often the ball bounces off the edge of her glove or isn't secured before she begins moving her glove to transfer and loses the ball. I think he biggest problem is that she is moving her glove to soon for the transfer causing her to move her glove just enough for it to contact the edge of the glove.
Any tips, idea, or drills to help her? for the most part she is solid but once it starts happening it only worsens.
Thanks.

If it's hitting off the edge of the mitt she is either trying to receive with a closed mitt, an improperly angled mitt, or she is not following the ball all the way into the mitt with her eyes.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I like what Eric and Josh have suggested. The thing I'd look for first is whether she's moving the body enough so the glove is at or near the center of her chest. If she's reaching it's hard not to present the edge of the glove.

If that checks out, definitely good to go with bare hand and tennis balls. Sometimes they get too caught up in catching the outside of the ball and get the fingers around it too soon.

Depends on whether the ball is banging off the edge of the glove or falling out too.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
We have a catcher that is very athletic, has a tremendous work ethic, and great heart. She has been taking catching lessons and is working her butt off to secure our starting catcher job(this is one of our biggest positions we struggle at).
She has improved dramatically and it is evident that her hard work is paying.
However, too often the ball bounces off the edge of her glove or isn't secured before she begins moving her glove to transfer and loses the ball. I think he biggest problem is that she is moving her glove to soon for the transfer causing her to move her glove just enough for it to contact the edge of the glove.
Any tips, idea, or drills to help her? for the most part she is solid but once it starts happening it only worsens.
Thanks.

I have this EXACT same girl. Mine was playing travel hockey an age bracket "up" in Canada at 8 years old. Super athletic. When she tried out for my team this year I wasn't sure where she would play but only a fool would pass up on an athlete of this caliber...

She said she wanted to try catcher...great...my #2 catch which is my #2 pitcher could be moved to her best position which is CF...win win for all...

Except...she couldn't catch...

What did I do?

She came 15 minutes early to every practice and I soft tossed to a bare hand with lite flight balls (like Josh's vid above). We did this for 6 weeks...

I made my own videos of the NECC recieving drills and had the parents work with her on their time.

I had DD1 (who is also a catcher) stand behind her holding the rear strap of her chest protector to keep her "quiet" while catching soft toss with a glove using the "hold for 3 seconds" drill.

On Thursdays, she comes for individual lessons with me and I have her spend 15 minutes receiving off of soft toss and the machine. If hockey doesn't conflict and she can stay for pitchers\catchers practice I make sure she gets the majority of reps...

I had one of our 16U catchers come in and work with her 1 on 1 just on receiving. We used the pitching machine on this one. I let the 16U girl explain in her own words - not mine...hugely beneficial...funny how we as coaches\parents gets understood and translated...

She "catches" for 3 batters during batting practice each week

In the next few weeks I am going to have her and her family (and my other catcher and her family) to the house for pizza and wings (I'm in the Buffalo area so "real" Buffalo wings :D) and we are going to watch the NECC vid. Party at my house!!! Who else wants to come?!?

Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. But in our indoor Winter league (I've put her behind the plate against softer teams) she's made incredible improvement. Her body is much quieter and she is doing a much better job of receiving. Blocking is greatly improved as well because she is more in the mind set of "beat the ball to the spot."

We've recently started working (DD1 + my 2 catchers) with a former D1 catcher in the area on Wednesdays so now she's getting an additional day each week and you can see a marked improvement. These clinics are awesome!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that confidence needs to be instilled in her as she works through these "growing pains." No doubt she'll get it but if your have the NECC vids pay close attention to what Jay says in the beginning about "who would want to be a catcher?"

Have fun and good luck...CP

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
This could likely be part of it. Any tips on how to help her fix it?

Read what Eric F wrote above - this is one of the best catcher's drills for drops. When she is doing the drill, watch her head and see if she is watching the ball into the mitt or if she is turning her head slightly. Sometimes I have even seen them just closing their eyes at the last minute. Repetition of Eric F's drill should help if that is the problem.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Read what Eric F wrote above - this is one of the best catcher's drills for drops. When she is doing the drill, watch her head and see if she is watching the ball into the mitt or if she is turning her head slightly. Sometimes I have even seen them just closing their eyes at the last minute. Repetition of Eric F's drill should help if that is the problem.

Another thing that you can use to address this is to develop drills to force the catcher to trust their gear (which requires them to have gear they can in fact trust). We put new catchers in the "cowboy" position. They are on the floor/ground in the block position, in full gear but without a glove. Butt as close to the ground as they can get, with toes pointed out as far as they can. Have them place their hands "in their back pockets". If they are very timid, start with tennis balls. Simulate block situations where they are forced to allow the ball to hit their gear. Make them see the ball all of the way in, with their head down, and watch where it lands after it leave them (hopefully it stays close, but that isn't the purpose of this drill). As they get more comfortable, use softballs. If they are using proper gear and proper form, they will eventually realize it doesn't hurt and their confidence will boom. If the catcher isn't seeing the ball into the mitt because of being timid, this can certainly address that issue.

Aug 15, 2014
let me chime in here, my dd is an 11U catcher. First of all, have her eyes tested, make sure everything is ok there (maybe she needs glasses). here is a great drill that my dd used:
take a 12-16oz water bottle and cut the bottom off, then get a small plastic ball (about the size of a golf ball) throw it in the air and have your daughter catch it with the water bottle, this is a great drill for hand/eye coordination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01