Belly Button thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
vgq713.gif

May 3, 2014
Why do you insist on some kind of visual proof?

It seems like you have tried it so you must know what feel it should be creating.

I never said the front hip actually stays below the rear one - the cue is TRY and keep the front hip lower than the rear hip.

Another cue I will use is - TRY and get the front hip under the belly button as you front leg cock and stride out. And to beat you to your next question - I do not have video showing anyone doing this. It is a feel.

Do you have some GIFs of professional hitters doing this as an example .... or is this merely a 'feel' in which the front hip isn't physically lowered below the rear hip?

May 3, 2014
Thanks - it is exactly the reason I came with it. It is a feel that anyone can come to using this cue.

It's a good cue. Sb easy for many girls to wrap their brain around. Thank you. Now what are "slings"

Slings are much more involved but here is a basic rundown. Slings refer to Muscular Sling Systems

There are primarily 4 sling systems

1.Anterior Oblique System (AOS)

2.Posterior Oblique System (POS)

3.Deep Longitudinal System (DLS)

4.Lateral System (LS)

To start - understanding the Lateral System is important in understanding what should happen whenever you lift one foot off the ground whether it is walking/running/climbing stairs or in our case - hitting and throwing.

The lateral sling consists of the gluteus medius, adductors, and contralateral quadratus lumborum. Meaning for example if you are RH hitter and pick up your front foot - your right gluteus medius, right leg adductors and left quadratus lumborum are working to keep your pelvis level and your spine from laterally bending.

So, the cue of trying to keep your front hip lower than your rear hip as your pick up your front leg is way to recruit the lateral sling system to control movement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1