Belly Button thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Instead of giving you the answer - try it out and tell me what you feel. I think I may have given the answer in another thread somewhere but I would like you all to try it.

What's the harm?

Point me to that thread. That thread may be gone.....
There is a thread at BBD that RayR gave an example in. You're not RayR who used to be MTS now are you?

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Point me to that thread. That thread may be gone.....
There is a thread at BBD that RayR gave an example in. You're not RayR who used to be MTS now are you?

No way RDB, the internet hitting world (all 20 of us) is FULLLLLLLLLL of belly buttoners!

May 3, 2014
You are starting to feel it.

Keep playing around with it. Remember you are also trying to engage your core.

Nice job and thanks for giving it a try.

I have to run out - but here is a hint. Look up hip extension and make your rear hip do that as you try and keep the front hip down and watch a pujols clip for a resource

The thing that is most apparent is tension across my left butt cheek (RH hitter).

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here I'll help you out:
start at around 2 minute mark
the core is all about creating proximal stiffness to enhance distal power...

May 3, 2014
You should pay attention to Dr McGill so you don't hurt your 16YO daughter by telling her to twist herself around her rear leg.

Here I'll help you out:
start at around 2 minute mark
the core is all about creating proximal stiffness to enhance distal power...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You should pay attention to Dr McGill so you don't hurt your 16YO daughter by telling her to twist herself around her rear leg.
See you do know me. Oh, no thanks necessary for the video to help you out. Sure you already seen it on BBD but, may be others on DFP haven't.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Let me help you out again:
Aug 26, 2013 at 12:14am noontime said:
See if this does anything for you... who doesn't like a little experiment!

Stand on your rear leg facing a wall. ( you can pretend to hold a bat ). Your front leg knee lifted up a bit, front foot off the ground. So you are balanced on your rear leg. From here you can do several different things to coil.

A) Bring your front hip back while pushing your rear butt cheek directly behind you. Your front knee will angle rearward and you stay balanced over your rear leg.

or

B) Don't move your front hip or knee back, and just sit into your rear hip and push your rear butt cheek directly behind you . Again you stay balanced over rear leg.

or

C) Don't move your front hip or knee back, and try to move the rear hip forward and around the back so that it is directly behind the front hip. This should get you coiled in the rear hip while also shifting your center of gravity such that you are no longer balanced over your rear leg and begin to move in the direction towards the pitcher.

I'd say A) is typical of those who use their front leg lift to push back and coil the rear hip... that's coil back...not good.  B) is better than coiling back but usually results in a coil then hold and move forward action. Not ideal in that any time you have to hold or pause and action that is breaking the flow and not in sequence.  C) is coiling forward or forward by coil.

For extra fun after you have done C) a few times try to have the hip action described while keeping your belly button pointed at the wall in front of you. (i.e. as your hips "close" while moving forward, don't let your belly button turn back) .  I say this assuming that as your were trying it before, as your hips "closed" your torso above also closed and belly button and shoulders pointed rearward as well.   So try it again with the intent to keep your belly button from turning back.  Note what that does to your shoulder line as you move forward.  You should get some lowering of the front shoulder while keeping the shoulders in line with the pitcher.

For extra extra fun, after you get some shoulder tilt happening from the belly button action happening on top of the hips coiling, put a bat in your hands and let them be reactive to the shoulder tilt..... when all said and done you may have barrel "tip" happening, with downward sloping shoulders, as you move forward without actually trying to "do" any of that... you were just coiling the rear hip behind the front hip while keeping your belly button from turning back.

Then you can feel the reptilian love of the Big Gila for yourself! :)

Cheers,
NoonTime
Repcab2_zps9d17085b.gif

*not sure what nbsp means
Imagine the rag continuing up the spine, past the wringing between rear hip and leg. If left free above the rearward turning hips, then the rag above the hips just loosely turns with the hips.

So grab it and allow the rearward turning hip to create a 2nd wring with the same action that it is already doing.

The variable in this "top wring" is where the figurative hand grabs the top of the rag. Yes you can grab it at the shoulders and wring between shoulders and hips. What I suggest is to try to grab the top of the rag lower. Down by the belly button. Now you can grab and just stabilize the rag at the BB while the hips wring under, or you can actively try to wring the BB forward. It's the same action to varrying degrees. One persons "hold in place" is another persons "turn forward against the rearward wringing hips. Play with it. Figure out the degree of forward wringing vs holding in place wringing that works for you. Try to get a hold of that rag down by the BB instead of up by the shoulders. Actually try it both ways and see if you get differences in the way the torso responds the the "top wring"

Go slow (the mud disclaimer) and try it just standing there. You'll know you are doing it correctly when the front shoulder is lowered because of the wring between hips and BB

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma