Be careful what you promise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Swingz

Banned
Mar 5, 2015
I need to give your DD the cell phone number for radar grandpa! He will have her clocked at 60+ MPH in no time!

What in the world is he doing? Is this real. Is there a story behind this. Doesn't he know that doing that it elevates the speed big time. The GPA is hilarious.

Valley Force

Banned
Mar 6, 2015
Springfield, Ohio
I have student who just turned 15. Last year she was throwing 52mph. This past fall she put a 53 on my gun, did it again 3 weeks ago and last night I pulled out my gun and she did it once more.

She was happy and excited that over the winter she hadn't lost any speed and that she could still put in a 53. Her dad was not as impressed and said, "I won't be satisfied till I see a 55mph".

She answered back with a sassy eye roll and I believe there was psssssssh in there as well.

So then I say, "Well wait a minute, what is your incentive to throw 55mph?"

So student says, "Yeah dad! What is my incentive to throw 55?!"

They bartered back and forth and finally the dad says, "I'll buy you a car".

8 pitches later she had thrown three 54's. Dad was looking a little worried and student happily went home to car shop.;)

Very cute........

Oct 22, 2009
When my DD was playing 12U she was HBP and right afterwards she started to "step out" with her front foot on every pitch. Seeing her batting average plummet I decided drastic measures were in order. I made a deal with her that every time she got HBP I would pay her $100. I swear I think she started leaning into pitches! She has collected over $1000 over the years. The worst is when the pitcher throws a change up in the dirt and it barely grazes her cleat. She runs to first base with a big grin on her face and proceeds to tell me when she reaches 1B (I coach 1B), that she only accepts cash......

Must have been how Biggio got his start.

My DD's favorite player was Biggio, she always had jersey #7, and LOVED getting hit by pitches. She had it down to a science on low balls where she would lift her front leg to act like she was trying to move out of the way while dragging the back leg into the ball.

Apr 8, 2013
Ahh yes... I made the mistake of trying to bribe DD for homeruns at a tourney last year. I promised $100 for every homerun she hit. I meant over the fence homers, she hit 4 inside the parkers.. Costly error on my part.

We had a grand parent who showed up and told his grand kid he'd give her $100 bill for a home run. We were playing on a slow pitch size field with no temp fence so it was like 300'. This was 10u. He was thinking no way a 10u hits a home run, right? Well she did. Line drive in the gap that rolled almost all the way to the fence. By the time the outfielders got it she was heading to third and it took 4 relays to get it home about 10 seconds after she crossed the plate. Grandpa was "but but but but I meant over the fence!"

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When I coached 10u I had a drill where bunts within a grid were worth points and even fouling off a bunt was worth a point, each kid had so many bunts to get x number of points. If they didn't get the goal points they had to run the bases. If she exceeded a higher number then I would run the bases. One practice I had to run the bases 7 times in a row.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What in the world is he doing? Is this real. Is there a story behind this. Doesn't he know that doing that it elevates the speed big time. The GPA is hilarious.

Radar Grandpa is a DFP legend.....and now you have seen him in action!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Hard to believe there are folks this stupid.

Well, if you're telling a story about how fast your grandchild pitches, do what he's doing, then simply say, "That's what the radar gun said!"

It's sort of like punching numbers into a calculator incorrectly and trusting whatever answer you come up with, even though the answer is absurd for the problem you were attempting to solve.

I know I should eventually use a radar gun, but I have yet to do so.

Oct 22, 2009
I have actually done this in class before whenever a student would tell stories that Suzie claims she throws XXmph's and there is no way she does, so I'll let her pitch a few till I get a real high reading, show her and say,
"There, now you do to!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse