Be careful what you promise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I have student who just turned 15. Last year she was throwing 52mph. This past fall she put a 53 on my gun, did it again 3 weeks ago and last night I pulled out my gun and she did it once more.

She was happy and excited that over the winter she hadn't lost any speed and that she could still put in a 53. Her dad was not as impressed and said, "I won't be satisfied till I see a 55mph".

She answered back with a sassy eye roll and I believe there was psssssssh in there as well.

So then I say, "Well wait a minute, what is your incentive to throw 55mph?"

So student says, "Yeah dad! What is my incentive to throw 55?!"

They bartered back and forth and finally the dad says, "I'll buy you a car".

8 pitches later she had thrown three 54's. Dad was looking a little worried and student happily went home to car shop.;)

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Ahh yes... I made the mistake of trying to bribe DD for homeruns at a tourney last year. I promised $100 for every homerun she hit. I meant over the fence homers, she hit 4 inside the parkers.. Costly error on my part.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DW foolishly promised to allow DD another piercing for an OTF homer. Took a while because there are rarely any fences, but inevitably it happened, she got the piercing, and mom was pissed for weeks.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My student's Grandpa promised her a horse, if she threw a perfect game in HS. She did and she got her horse.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
A couple of months ago while home from school my DD produced a years old yellow post-it note in a small white frame. It said "Sign with SEC school = 7 day Disney Cruise" which I do vaguely remember initialing. Unfortunately due to her school and softball schedule she will not be able to collect until after she graduates. :)

Oct 22, 2009
I told this to my DD who told me, YOU NEVER PROMISED ME A CAR! Which I replied, I'm not stupid.

The only thing I ever promised her was a bat. Because she never owned anything over $35 practice bat. She had begun rotational lessons her junior year and she had started to bang some off the fence, so I thought I throw it out there, hit one over and I'll buy you a bat.

Senior year, 1/2 way through the season, grand slam. Had one more game that week and I was to get the bat that weekend. That next game she was injured and out for the rest of the season. Never had to buy that bat.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Confession time...

I am always promising kids 5, 10, or 20 bucks. They sure work like hell to get it... but are rather dismayed when they get this email:

save5bucks.jpg

Jun 7, 2013
You guys are making me feel like a real cheapskate. I think the most that I ever promised my DDs was that I'd buy them a cup of coco if they attended a winter clinic. However, I am sensing an opportunity. At some point in the near future, I was planning on buying a used backup car to ease the conflicts that have arisen since my DD received her driver's license. What I could do is to promise them that once my oldest DD is clocked at 55 mph and my youngest is clocked at 50 mph I will go buy the car. We'll see...

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
You guys are making me feel like a real cheapskate. I think the most that I ever promised my DDs was that I'd buy them a cup of coco if they attended a winter clinic. However, I am sensing an opportunity. At some point in the near future, I was planning on buying a used backup car to ease the conflicts that have arisen since my DD received her driver's license. What I could do is to promise them that once my oldest DD is clocked at 55 mph and my youngest is clocked at 50 mph I will go buy the car. We'll see...

Note, I never promised her anything, nor was I consulted on the promise DW made. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi