Be careful what you promise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Several years back I was working with one of my 12U teams on long throws. I had set up a ball bucket about 125' away and challenged them to hit the bucket with a ball. The girl with the strongest arm on the team asked me what she would get if she got it in the bucket. I told her a high five from me. That wasn't good enough. She wanted some cash because she was going shopping the following day with her mom and friends.

Dad was there and pipes up "I'll give ya $50 if you put it in the bucket." The girl says "OK" and promptly throws the next ball in the bucket. It knocked the bucket over, but it clearly went in the top of the bucket. The kids went nuts and the Oh S#$% look on the dad's face was priceless. True to his word he did give her the $50. To this day he's never made another bet with her again.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When my DD was playing 12U she was HBP and right afterwards she started to "step out" with her front foot on every pitch. Seeing her batting average plummet I decided drastic measures were in order. I made a deal with her that every time she got HBP I would pay her $100. I swear I think she started leaning into pitches! She has collected over $1000 over the years. The worst is when the pitcher throws a change up in the dirt and it barely grazes her cleat. She runs to first base with a big grin on her face and proceeds to tell me when she reaches 1B (I coach 1B), that she only accepts cash......

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What I could do is to promise them that once my oldest DD is clocked at 55 mph and my youngest is clocked at 50 mph I will go buy the car. We'll see...

I need to give your DD the cell phone number for radar grandpa! He will have her clocked at 60+ MPH in no time!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have student who just turned 15. Last year she was throwing 52mph. This past fall she put a 53 on my gun, did it again 3 weeks ago and last night I pulled out my gun and she did it once more.

She was happy and excited that over the winter she hadn't lost any speed and that she could still put in a 53. Her dad was not as impressed and said, "I won't be satisfied till I see a 55mph".

She answered back with a sassy eye roll and I believe there was psssssssh in there as well.

So then I say, "Well wait a minute, what is your incentive to throw 55mph?"

So student says, "Yeah dad! What is my incentive to throw 55?!"

They bartered back and forth and finally the dad says, "I'll buy you a car".

8 pitches later she had thrown three 54's. Dad was looking a little worried and student happily went home to car shop.;)

You could endear yourself to the dad if you point out that Hotwheels and Matchboxes technically are cars. Of course, your pitcher would hate you if she ever found out.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
My last DD is 8 and I am lucky that she is not like the first 2. She loves playing and is totally in it for the applause and smiles from mom. The first 2 needed BK or McDonalds just to go to practice. She made a few good plays out in the field and hit a few doubles this fall and that is currently her motivation getting ready for this season. It makes her work hard at practice and during games, it makes her a class clown at school!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877