Backswing vs. no backswing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Apologies for the empty post. Here's what I've got:
1) I can't say I've experienced the backswing = locked elbow during the whip. I completely agree about hiding the pitch and encourage kids to give this style a try. I teach elbow leading no matter what swing style they start with and I have not seen a kid who's learned to whip, do it less efficiently due to the backswing.

3) Again, something I haven't encountered. Most kids I see lack use of the hands during the drive, so it's one of the first things I address. For me, if they use the hands well in any of the four motions, I'm happy.

4) Same deal. Usually, kids who use the glove well don't "suffer" from swimming, regardless of where it starts.

I don't claim to be an expert; more of a student.

Hope that makes sense,
Ken

Oct 22, 2009
Do you think, Ueno, Finch, Scarborough, Abbot, could throw harder without the backswing?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A double arm swing pitcher with no swim:
628x471.jpg

I realize these two do not represent the majority of their swing styles, but more that there is no universal result for a given style when it comes to glove swim. It's a tough one to debate without facts, and I don't have any...

Last edited:

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Do you think, Ueno, Finch, Scarborough, Abbot, could throw harder without the backswing?

They could have been better, even though they are the elite among female pitchers. JMHO.
Pretty soon Thomas and the Renfroe sisters will be the ones studied and as Bob Dylan says, "times they are a changing".

Apr 24, 2012

They could have been better, even though they are the elite among female pitchers. JMHO.
Pretty soon Thomas and the Renfroe sisters will be the ones studied and as Bob Dylan says, "times they are a changing".

Lol I love it that your such an expert to say some of the best woman pitchers ever could of been better. I guess other experts could argue that they wouldn't of been as good.
Oh yeah a little off topic but I think if Roger Clemons would of tweaked his windup a little he would of been a lot better:rolleyes:

May 10, 2010
There are some threads that have responses relating to tipping a pitch. I believe in hiding the ball is very important also. I had an oppurtunity to see Finch and Osterman pitch. Sat right behind home plate and there was no way I could see the grip when they started the pitch. The seams were a blur until the ball was almost to the catcher. If they tipped there pitches the other team never figured it out.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Hiding the grip is more of a man's thing because they only throw 3 pitches to speak of, and if there is a sign showing rise or change, and the base coach can relay a change up is coming that can help the batter lay off or lay back it could help. But hiding the ball the first 90 degrees of the arm circle makes the pitch that much quicker than a back arm swing pitcher's delivery. But ya all just don't get it. Ivy Renfroe and Chelsea Thomas get it. Tenn. has moved up to 2nd in the rankings. Mizzou has dropped to 11th, but they'll be back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad