Backswing vs. no backswing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Here is a video of the double pump (backswing) and the Softball Submarine wind ups. From the start of the motions, the Sub gets the ball to the plate WAY faster than the other. Thats why its such a lethal combination.

step style 3 - YouTube

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Thank you Hal,I never really thought about using both but we will give it a try at practice and she if it works for her.If she could pull it off she would really stand out doing that and you know pitchers.they love flying under the radar,Cough,Cough.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
My DD and I are watching Alabama vs LSU on television. As we are watching the pitchers my DD says to me..."look dad, both of these pitchers do not come back with the ball like I used to do." I dont know which one is correct, my opinion there is no right or wrong way, each girl is different and is comfortable with one way or another, but watching these two very elite D1 pitchers pitch without a backswing makes it a lot easier to convince my DD that not utilizing a backswing is not going to cause her to pitch worse than if she did use the backswing!! Again, I dont think there is a "cookie cutter" way to pitch (other than using IR) and each girl has her own strengths and weaknesses that can be maximized and minimized by things they do during the pitching motion.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
So we tried the no back swing in a a school game yesterday for the first time.3 innings pitched faced 10 batters,no hitter,1 walk,6 strike outs.We were crushing the other team by that point so they sat her down after three.next step seeing if she can use both windups during a game.The best part was she suprised how much less effort it took.Thank you gurus for the help on this.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Tell her to not laugh at the batters because it's like,, really rude!.

When she starts usinbg both and sees how the batters react, she is gonna have a blast. When she finds out just how easy it is to disrupt their timing, THERE WILL BE NO HOLDING HER BACK FROM THAT POINT ON.

She will find out how fun it is to get strike outs because she is a smarter at pitching the ball than the batters are at hitting the ball.

She is on her way.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Sounds more like the backswing and the straight out of the glove wind ups. Normally, they will be 1 to 2 mph of each other from all my students experience. If you are doing the legal rockback as I have described on here, thats good. She will pick that speed back up with a little more experience.

Have her occassionally use both wind ups on the same batter, THEY HATE IT WHEN YOU DO THAT!
Sure would like to see one of your students demonstrate your inventions using 2 difference windups against a batter. I'd like to see both the pitchers face and the batters face. What is the difference in the submarine and the sling shot wind ups? I want to know how to stun a hitter into not swinging at all. I'd buy the book but I don't read that well anymore.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877