ASA 14u ( A ) Nationals and how we got there

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2010
The 14U national tournament with the best sample of top teams, players, and competition is ASA. It's not even close. Other sanctions put on nice national tournaments, but they're not the same. That's why there were so many D-1 coaches at the 14U tournament in Moline this year (among others, UCLA (Lisa Fernandez), Arizona, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Washington, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Texas Tech, Northwestern, Kentucky, Nebraska, UVA, LSU, and Mississippi State). It was an incredible experience for a young softball player - win or lose.

Aug 2, 2008
IMO, if you didnt earn a berth you dont belong there. They give hand me down berths so they dont lose money which is what asa is all about. Anyone can go to state:confused: We have already given our team a goal for next year, if we dont reach it then we are not going to state. If you want a participant ribbon then go to the hershy track and field events.

Jan 12, 2010
IMO, if you didnt earn a berth you dont belong there. They give hand me down berths so they dont lose money which is what asa is all about. Anyone can go to state:confused: We have already given our team a goal for next year, if we dont reach it then we are not going to state. If you want a participant ribbon then go to the hershy track and field events.

I agree with most of that. If you don't earn a berth, you shouldn't go in my opinion. But if ASA wants to give you a berth, and you think you have the horses, then who cares what I think? At ASA's you're going to face the best teams in the country in that age group and, if anything, it will provide you with a serious measuring stick of where your team needs to improve and/or where they should play next year. If you don't plan on playing any national tournament, then why bother with travel ball? There are plenty of little league and/or rec teams to play for and have fun. Last time I checked, there were no participant ribbons given out to the 154 teams that didn't finish 1st or 2nd...

Jun 16, 2010
Well, yes, and no. Conceptually I agree that you should earn a berth to be there.

In reality though there are more reasons.

As long as all the available berths arent claimed (and they never are, this yr had 156 out of ~232 berths claimed I think) ASA gives out some "free" unclaimed berths to decent local teams in the district where they are hosting a tournament. Its public relations, gives more local teams the chance to see what ASA Nationals is all about, and see how superior the good teams are. It helps to maintain a strong ASA presence, and give those teams something to shoot for. Those teams obviously arent going to win, but they have a good time seeing what it is all about. Didnt hear any complain about losing or that the competition was too hard.

Illinois has 7 berths, there were 22 IL teams there. Obviously many Quad Cities and IL teams got free berths this way. Thats OK. They didnt last long. ASA is known to also "hand out" unclaimed berths to create a more diverse national representation if needed.

But you can bet the best will be there, and the level of play will be impressive.

One of this yrs highlights was a young lady slinging up to 67mph, clocked on radar by college coach. Nope, wasnt enough. Outstanding hitting beats outstanding pitching, and there were outstanding hitting teams. Players that could be on good DI teams today. Players with multiple homeruns in single games.

The list of coaches attending each day was pretty impressive too. And that doesnt include the recruiters, they dont sign in. The place was crawling with collegiate representation from big name schools.

Aug 2, 2008
it will provide you with a serious measuring stick of where your team needs to improve

A coach should know that well before nationals

If you don't plan on playing any national tournament, then why bother with travel ball?

So if we are helping kids achive slightly smaller goals then we have no business playing select?
I dont live in a fantasy world. Getting our asses handed to us at a national tournament as 98 percent of teams out there would does not constitute a good expierence in my book.

Jun 16, 2010
So if we are helping kids achive slightly smaller goals then we have no business playing select?
I dont live in a fantasy world. Getting our asses handed to us at a national tournament as 98 percent of teams out there would does not constitute a good expierence in my book.

Every team but one leaves a National tournament a loser. The only difference is how soon. You go to compete against the best, and if you have an outstanding team, to make a run at the National Championship. It is an awesome experience, win or lose.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
livingontheroad, you took the words right out of my life. If you are given the opportunity to go play with the best, why shouldn't you? Why shouldn't you go and see the big dogs play, compete against them, and have the experience of traveling somewhere.

Feb 21, 2010
Lexington, KY
My DD just got back from the 12u ASA Nationals in Bloomington, IN. I too was apprehensive about our team going, even though as second year 12u's, our team is pretty good(41-11 overall). I was concerned primarily about the cost, and going up there and going 0-4.

I am happy to report that while there were some very good teams(CA), we were competitive and won 2 games against teams from Louisiana and Tennessee and nearly beat a team from FL.

In the end it was a very worthwhile trip and boosted the girls confidence. Additionally, it was also good team building time spending time at the hotel pool, cooking and hanging out.

Aug 2, 2008
Speaking mostly to the original post. It sounds like they havent been playing well and did not come close to earning a berth, but were somehow handed one. Obviously if you have the talent and drive to play with the best its worth the trip.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
i agree with amanda_cake. I understand financially it's not the best deal, but just the experience is fantastic. I recently joined a team that went to nationals last year. Somehow they got a berth to ASA nationals because they went last year. Then, we also came in 2nd in the ASA regional qualifier and officially qualified for our nationals.

Not to be a downer but when we arrived at opening ceremonies, and I saw the size of the other girls (my team is very small) I just said to myself that we would be 4 and done. But...I played 6 games. We managed to make it to the 3rd round and come in 22 out of 56 (keep in mind we are a first year team)

Nationals is just a great experience whether you win or lose, you're playing with the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413