2 Requests

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
First request is can someone please show me the hands for the reverse top hand drill? I find it very difficult to see in the video as the gloves at the bat are all black.

Second request is what drills is everyone using to teach hitting behind the batter?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Can you see the Reverse top hand on the left hitter?
33xftvp.gif

Reverse%20hand.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
IMO, the reverse hand drill is the best overall drill there is, especially if you're pitching to them from out in front (say 20-25 feet) so you can see what it is doing for them. However, some girls have to be shown what they are to do with the hands as they swing (see top clip)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

To the instructor’s credit, she gave points-of-emphasis to focus on.

With knowledge of what to focus on, a drill can be performed via “active learning”, and the goodness of the drill best extracted with greatest efficiency.

Giving a drill, without explaining the points-of-emphasis, can have undesirable effects.

So kudos for the instructor for giving points to emphasize during the drill.

Now … if the instructor gets the points-of-emphasis correct, then that would be cause for even more kudos.

Giving a drill, with improper points to emphasize, can make a hitter worse. No kudos for that.

15zz3b.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Got to be right, I hear a clicking sound ....
The hitter would be better off practicing with this instead.....
graphics-brooms-647790.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I hear you Jackel ... it is a bit pricey. There is one of these gadgets in a facility I visit ... and I've rarely seen it used properly ... more a source of frustration. It certainly isn't the self-teaching tool that some wish it was.

Regarding the reverse top-hand drill ...... Keep in mind that Charley Lau was a big advocate of this drill (he describes it well in his book "The Art of Hitting 400"), and that he believed in bottom-hand dominance. Take note that in virtually every demonstration of this drill that you won't see the rear arm reach full extension.

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
I think I understand the drill, I have a couple players I try out new drills with and I do them myself. I just seem to be missing something, maybe at point of contact, maybe in the grip. But even I generally just feel discomfort when doing the drill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1