16u vs 18u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2016
My daughter skipped 16s all together and in hindsight that was a mistake. If your girl is hitting .500 against 16u pitching, I can guarantee that she won’t be against 18u. So why handicap her during recruiting? You want to maximize her opportunity to shine.

May 13, 2023
Showcasing and Schedule should be in alignment with the individual's goal.
Age could be irrelevant. A really good question to ask before joining a team is ~What is the team schedule going to be? Like that the OP is already aware that the schedule& College attendance with daughter's goals are in-line.
Now start emailing! And attending camps!

There are teams that the competition level is equal between 16 and 18s.
As long as there is a history of attendance of colleges attending either of those, either will be fine.
Keep in mind that colleges have different goals and timelines of who they are recruiting.
(they may be looking for different graduation years and positions)

Another factor and an important factor that shouldn't be overlooked is what type of coach and manager are part of the team. Are they interacting with the college coaches attending?!

Will bring this up~
Now that there is not as much attention being shown to the 14U and under group, that if a team is all second year 14's it may be more beneficial to play up in 16's for more exposure.
Get eyes on early. Get the players some exposure to what it's like having college coaches hanging around.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
My daughter played both this year. I know this is anecdotal, but I saw more scouts at 18U games. The biggest difference I noticed had to do with the player's priorities related to their age. The seniors in particular are all over the place. Some of the girls that are unsigned are playing like their hair is on fire in hopes of getting that last-minute offer. Others have given up and are skipping practices and chatting about parties in the dugout. Some of the girls that do have offers have taken an "I don't have to tolerate this anymore." attitude. Either way, they are all pretty bad teammates so winning and losing feels like an afterthought.

You are looking at a national team, so maybe you won't experience this. But I don't really enjoy watching her 18U team play. They just don't seem to care like they used to.

This was our experience with as well both with teammates and watching opponents. Especially noticible in players who aren’t playing in college or have committed to a lower caliber softball team.

Another factor is with seniors who are already committed or signed was to what level. If your DD has P5 aspirations she’ll likely be better off with teammates and facing opponents with the same goals.

May 27, 2013
My dd skipped over 16U to play for an 18U team that carried HS freshmen through seniors. The team is loosely affiliated with an org of the same name but the 18U Gold team was the team that did the big showcases on the East coast. They played at the main venues. As long as the players sent their emails, the coaches came.

ETA: I think what helped a lot was that the coach had been doing this for a long time with this team. College coaches knew him and the team name.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
My dd skipped over 16U to play for an 18U team that carried HS freshmen through seniors. The team is loosely affiliated with an org of the same name but the 18U Gold team was the team that did the big showcases on the East coast. They played at the main venues. As long as the players sent their emails, the coaches came.

ETA: I think what helped a lot was that the coach had been doing this for a long time with this team. College coaches knew him and the team name.
I think this captures the point well. 16u vs 18u isn't the question you need to ask it is are the goals of the team in line with what my DD wants/needs.

I wouldn't want my uncommitted 16u eligible DD to play on an 18u team of all committed kids but would have no problem with an 18u team of kids similar to her

May 27, 2013
I think this captures the point well. 16u vs 18u isn't the question you need to ask it is are the goals of the team in line with what my DD wants/needs.

I wouldn't want my uncommitted 16u eligible DD to play on an 18u team of all committed kids but would have no problem with an 18u team of kids similar to her
Yep, we had a group of all mixed age kids. We always had a few committed seniors but they were never the majority of the team.

Aug 9, 2021
I found there were more college coaches at our 16U games last summer and fall of 22 than there were at our 18U games this fall.
Same experience here. Colorado, Nevada, NorCal, SoCal, Arizona.

Edit: Smaller/lower level schools still looking for 2024s, a lot of schools looking for 2025s (middles, pitchers, catchers, athletes), and bigger schools already looking at 2026s. All teams looking for ballers...despite the year.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
This is a very helpful thread. We're contemplating a move from current 16u team to a national 18u team that's comprised of committeds and uncommitteds. Current team plays basically the same events, but not at the right locations. We don't think our daughter's emails are even being opened, but feel like being able to include the new team name and the coaches' names would help improve that situation.

May 13, 2023
This is a very helpful thread. We're contemplating a move from current 16u team to a national 18u team that's comprised of committeds and uncommitteds.

Current team plays basically the same events, but not at the right locations.
? Is there a conversation that could be had with the coach to align player goals better?

We don't think our daughter's emails are even being opened, but feel like being able to include the new team name and the coaches' names would help improve that situation.
It's difficult for sure. Even some players going to camps get a sense of thinking they have been unnoticed.

As far as a new or different team.
What I notice sometimes how the travel coaches/managers approach is off.
No approach to college coaches or the way they are approaching college coaches is off.
( it may not be the group of players)
Suggest to take a look, do you think those people that are leading your daughter's team have communication skills?
That is what I would look for when team is playing showcasing!! Communication skills of people that should be connecting their players to colleges. Stepping out of the Dugout to introduce themselves and hand a team flyer make themselves available for connection. Because at that point the coaches should be able to address talking to colleges at least in between games if not during them during showcases on their travel team players behalf.
IF that is not happening. There is a gap.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Do you prefer the mountain come to Mohammed approach, or do you want the bulldog coach? Having been with an organization who subscribed to the former, I want the bulldog in my corner. If that's 16U or 18U is irrelevant. I want a staunch advocate for my daughter. You can take your passive approach and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles