11yo Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
Ok, in an attempt to focus more on the scap I made the question more generic (instead of rear hip/both hips..etc.). :)

What causes the scap pinch ?
A) The scap muscles contract and pull back and create the rear scap pinch "manually".
B) The loading of the core flows up the body and creates the rear scap pinch "dynamically".
C) The loading and unloading of the core flows up the body and creates the rear scap pinch "dynamically".
D) Both A & B combined.
E) Both A & C combined.
F) Other

Please let me know your thoughts.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Ok, in an attempt to focus more on the scap I made the question more generic (instead of rear hip/both hips..etc.). :)

What causes the scap pinch ?
A) The scap muscles contract and pull back and create the rear scap pinch "manually".
B) The loading of the core flows up the body and creates the rear scap pinch "dynamically".
C) The loading and unloading of the core flows up the body and creates the rear scap pinch "dynamically".
D) Both A & B combined.
E) Both A & C combined.
F) Other

Please let me know your thoughts.

F) I don't think about the scap.

May 3, 2014
Scap teach is severely over rated and leads people into the weeds. No athlete or hitter is thinking about what their scapula is doing. The overlap from reversing directions from tipped to untipped externally rotates the rear shoulder as the pelvis starts turning forward - which slides your rear scap towards your spine. This also lengthens the anterior oblique sling as the posterior sling shortens (again you feel your scap slide towards your spine). It happens in a well sequenced swing - it should not be pinched/clamped/fused/held.

My answer is F

Oct 26, 2012
Scap teach is severely over rated and leads people into the weeds. No athlete or hitter is thinking about what their scapula is doing. The overlap from reversing directions from tipped to untipped externally rotates the rear shoulder as the pelvis starts turning forward - which slides your rear scap towards your spine. This also lengthens the anterior oblique sling as the posterior sling shortens (again you feel your scap slide towards your spine). It happens in a well sequenced swing - it should not be pinched/clamped/fused/held.

My answer is F

That is not F ... that is C. Which is the same as my answer "C".
Their is no manual effort to load/pinch the scap...it happens on its own.

May 3, 2014
OK - I change my answer to a "C" with an emphasis on 'F"

Bat - do you think the scap pinch is the key to a great swing? Does it give you the flexibility needed to make an adjustment? Why actively pinch it (as your daughter does)?

Oct 26, 2012
OK - I change my answer to a "C" with an emphasis on 'F"

Bat - do you think the scap pinch is the key to a great swing? Does it give you the flexibility needed to make an adjustment? Why actively pinch it (as your daughter does)?

She doesn't actively pinch it. It happens on its own. Some suggestions here have been to actively/manually pinch it.... and I am not fully on board with that concept. That's why I posted the question. Read post #41 .. I am saying I feel it's done dynamically/automatically.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
She doesn't actively pinch it. It happens on its own. Some suggestions here have been to actively/manually pinch it.... and I am not fully on board with that concept. That's why I posted the question. Read post #41 .. I am saying I feel it's done dynamically/automatically.

Fair enough - it just looks like she is intentionally moving her rear elbow to pinch it.

I would abandon any emphasis on the scap - let that baby do what it needs to do!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Holy be cheesus…..You guys going to start the stupid route of this thread again of "well the scap gets 'pinched' but you can't think about it"…?
I don't care what all of you call it, or how you believe you get it….it is high level and it is missing in her swing.

bd%20dd_zpsittabzsv.gif
Pujols-Albert-2011-Behind-GRD-RFL-Load-Loop.gif

AMC_zps367fe857.gif

16opjq.gif

It's why TDS couldn't explain the Agon gif above and my question of how a core can both fire the hips and resist rotation at the same time….plus it is obvious that Agon is not swinging "2 legged balanced around a spine pivot point."

Oct 26, 2012
Fair enough - it just looks like she is intentionally moving her rear elbow to pinch it.

I would abandon any emphasis on the scap - let that baby do what it needs to do!

Yes.... I do not mention scap pullback to her at all. She just lets the stretch flow/roll up the body.

The only reason I posed the question is because that appears to be what some posters are suggesting here. Things such as increase the pullback.. pinch the scap... load the scap. I am not saying they are wrong.... I am just not convinced enough to mention it to my DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877