11 yo first year 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 24, 2022
Please help with my DD’s swing. Her journey started spring 2022. Still trying very hard to improve her swing. Had a lot of issue with dropping her hands when she first started. Please let me know what we need to work on. Thank you!

Aug 20, 2017
Looks pretty solid to me. Tee swings can be misleading. Most tee swings don’t match game swings or even front toss swings. You got any swings with her hitting a moving ball?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
bbf-2023-1104.gif

She looks really good until hip slot (where the elbow drops to the hip)
1. in the 2nd frame, the back elbow should drive down much further, maybe 3-4 inches, to her belt (yellow). Do dry drills from toe touch to hip slot and drive that back elbow down.

2. in the 3rd and final frame, see how she has to push both biceps away from the body (that's not good). Fix #1 and see what happens, if that doesn't solve it, do dry drill from hip slot to contact and keep both biceps near the torso.

Mar 24, 2022
Three different front tosses with various heights. Her game swing looks similar to these.

Front toss low

Front toss middle

Front toss high

She tends to drop her right shoulder (or elbow or hands?) as she begins her swing. Her shoulders are tilted and steep at contact. This makes the bat go under the ball and popping it up. She is good at making contact. Her problem is having such a steep bat angle from her steep shoulders that the ball often pops up and lands just a little bit onto the grass.

The tee work in the initial post shows her trying to turn her hip first before engaging her arms. We are just trying different things to see if her pop ups can be corrected. The shoulders look a little bit better but is this right approach to try to correct her pop ups? Is her problem her shoulder, elbow or hands? And what is the reason behind it?

Much appreciated for all your help!

Mar 24, 2022
1. in the 2nd frame, the back elbow should drive down much further, maybe 3-4 inches, to her belt (yellow)

Do you see her front toss swings as more ideal in terms of elbow going further down?

My biggest fear has always been me meddling and changing her swing for the worse. The front toss swing is her current swing and her tee work swing is what I thought we should strive for. We have been working on her swing for a long time now. Sometimes I’m not certain if we are even going down the right direction.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Game swing

Game swing zoomed in

1699198855787.gif

She is stuck. Has no other option but to ‘reach’ and be under. The lower half ‘load’ she initiates is an advanced move done by few pros. the back hip load has been exaggerated in hitting instruction and usually leads to imbalances thereafter. Most good hitters have minimal pelvis shift back and try to control the early shift w the front leg and hip. That is plenty enough to get into the back hip or back heel. Generally the look of the forward move should have the front hip advancing before the knee or stride extends.

I think if you start her in a 50/50 stance and initiate the move forward w the front hip/leg, things will get substantially better very quickly.

I use ‘peel the front heel’ off the ground or push into the ground w the front foot to start the load from a 50/50 stance. This gets early control of the pelvis and stretches and balances the motion early. You want the lower advancing while the upper stays back. If anything while practicing make sure that front hip doesn’t sway back but turns in and forward mostly from where they started at set up. That early leverage will get the hips ‘leading’ and the lead leg will be under the hip so she can swing the bat where she wants w lower half leverage.

If you’re still under at that point do high inside-ish tee so she knows how to get on top and not dump the barrel w her new load.

Once she understands her load she can sway a bit during her load. Master the move first though.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles