10U pitch speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
IKn
Speaking of speed recording, my Bushnell runs a couple/three mph slower than the revfire and pocket radar. Both of which run about the same. That jive with everyone's experience?

I have all three and the only reading I trust is from the Pocket Radar.

FWIW - at 10u ASA nationals, one dominant pitcher was throwing mid-50s but we beat her team by putting the ball in play and their defense made some errors. She also never used a change up which would have made her even better. The following year we faced her at States and as a first year 12u was not nearly as dominant she used to be. I did see that she hit 60mph according a post from her pitching coaches website. She is 13yo.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
IKn

I have all three and the only reading I trust is from the Pocket Radar.

FWIW - at 10u ASA nationals, one dominant pitcher was throwing mid-50s but we beat her team by putting the ball in play and their defense made some errors. She also never used a change up which would have made her even better. The following year we faced her at States and as a first year 12u was not nearly as dominant she used to be. I did see that she hit 60mph according a post from her pitching coaches website. She is 13yo.

This is yet another example of how speed isn't everything. Mid 50's from 35' is comparable to a 95 mph baseball... It's only hard to hit if your timing isn't down. Throw a change up into her arsenal, she'd have dominated.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Some amazing posts here with these 10U players and the speeds they can throw! I can only imagine they are already getting looks from D1 schools because a 10U throwing 50 plus is very rare and worth the look. It is so rare that I would love to see how where these girls land in the next several years and hopefully they will keep with it.

Does anyone have any video with a gun on them from behind the plate that shows this incredible speed? If so please post as I am sure I am not the only one who would be amazed to see this! Thanks in advance!

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I have a Bushnell as well and don't know about the 3 mph slower than the other guns. I have see youtube comparisons and they look very close. I take mine out on the highway every couple of months, set the cruise control to 55 or 65 and shoot a speed limit sign and it is right on the money every time. I have seen posts that says to add anywhere from 3 to 7 mph to a Bushnell gun to get an accurate speed. I wish I knew for sure if that was the case but the only evidence that I have seen is that Bushnell is about plus or minus 1 mph from a study that had several guns on youtube. I can't argue with it since it always tags the exact speed I am driving so my only argument is that parents feel the need to add up to 7 mph to what their DD is getting gunned at. Makes for a much better story for sure much like the fish I caught last year that continues to grow in size. LOL!

Jun 12, 2015
Some amazing posts here with these 10U players and the speeds they can throw! I can only imagine they are already getting looks from D1 schools because a 10U throwing 50 plus is very rare and worth the look. It is so rare that I would love to see how where these girls land in the next several years and hopefully they will keep with it.

Does anyone have any video with a gun on them from behind the plate that shows this incredible speed? If so please post as I am sure I am not the only one who would be amazed to see this! Thanks in advance!

Everyone always says 50 mph in 10U is so rare. Is it really? I mean, everyone here who's seen it is lying? We've got 3 pitchers who are all 06 and can all hit mid-40s. By 2nd year 10U is it completely unrealistic they might add another 5mph? I don't know, it doesn't seem completely crazy to think it's possible. I agree about accuracy being more important (esp since my DD is very accurate but our slowest pitcher ;)) but I'm not sure 50 is so super rare.

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
My DD is a 2006 and just turned 9 in the middle of October. Last week her PC radar gunned her at 43 mph. In July she was gunned at 38 mph so she's been adding about 1 mph per month. With the work she puts in, I expect she'll be topping out around 45 mph by the start of the spring season in March and she is still in her first year of 10u. She isn't using the smaller balls when she gets gunned, she uses the bigger balls (not sure the exact size but I think it's the same size the 18u girls use). I don't think it is unreasonable to think she'll be in the high 40s, low 50s for her second year 10u season when she's using the small 10u balls.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Everyone always says 50 mph in 10U is so rare. Is it really? I mean, everyone here who's seen it is lying? We've got 3 pitchers who are all 06 and can all hit mid-40s. By 2nd year 10U is it completely unrealistic they might add another 5mph? I don't know, it doesn't seem completely crazy to think it's possible. I agree about accuracy being more important (esp since my DD is very accurate but our slowest pitcher ;)) but I'm not sure 50 is so super rare.

I'll say this...

Last Spring we played in a charity event. Part of this event was a skills competition that included pitch speed.

Very strong local teams there...each girl got to throw 3 pitches...there were a total of 6 girls at 12U who were clocked at 50+. Juggs gun was used to measure.

Plenty of girls there who have parents tell me how fast their DD's throw didn't break 50 either...CP

Apr 12, 2015

Depends on how you choose to define "common". A level ball, there are a high number of pitchers that do hit 50 and higher. These pitchers represent the cream of the crop and comprise an extremely small number of the overall pitchers of all girls playing softball.

So, if considering the top players, it is not uncommon for them to have that speed. But, consider all pitchers across all levels, it does indeed become very uncommon.

Gather 100 random 10u pitchers across all levels, including rec league, and you'll find maybe 5 to 10 that can hit 50mph. If you really want to whittle that number down, add in the caveat they have to be accurate as well.

Jun 12, 2015
Depends on how you choose to define "common". A level ball, there are a high number of pitchers that do hit 50 and higher. These pitchers represent the cream of the crop and comprise an extremely small number of the overall pitchers of all girls playing softball.

So, if considering the top players, it is not uncommon for them to have that speed. But, consider all pitchers across all levels, it does indeed become very uncommon.

Gather 100 random 10u pitchers across all levels, including rec league, and you'll find maybe 5 to 10 that can hit 50mph. If you really want to whittle that number down, add in the caveat they have to be accurate as well.

That makes sense. We are an A team and have mostly played A teams and I have noticed a pretty major difference in the pitching against B teams, not just in speed but DEFINITELY in accuracy. I wasn't even thinking about rec; the rec pitching I've seen...well, yeah. Nowhere even close to 50, mostly not even breaking 40 usually if my amateur eye is right (no gun, just eyeballing it).

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
At USSSA 9U Nationals there was a team from the South and had a pitcher throwing 47-50mph. Our #1 pitcher threw consistent 40-43 and she looked slow in comparison.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet