10U speed vs accuracy vs experiece

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
The player should be more interested in speed/technique for long-term development.

The coach is always interested in accuracy for short term benefit - a game.
As a coach, this is such a struggle. I've lived it and watched it. You want development. You need results. Being tasked with three weeks to form a team from scratch, teach fundamentals, and then get anyone even remotely close to throwing over the plate in three weeks of practices is like being given $12.62 and told to buy enough groceries to last a week.

May 13, 2021
I don’t know any pitchers that were developed by the coach they play for, unless their parent is the coach. I am sure they are some but they are scarce as hens teeth.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t know any pitchers that were developed by the coach they play for, unless their parent is the coach. I am sure they are some but they are scarce as hens teeth.
So giving them circle time doesn't play a part (even a teeny tiny amount) in development?

Feb 25, 2020
Two parents stepped in as first time coaches in 10U fall ball. After our first 4 games, I wanted to focus on pitching more.

We had two experienced pitchers who need improvement in control. I tried to crack down on accuracy and asked players to demonstrate some commitment to accuracy and they pretty much quit.

So, now i have all brand new players pitching for the first time.

Questions are...

Should the new players be asked to pitch for accurately or pitch for speed?

If the quitters return, what can I do to improve there accuracy if they have already gotten lessons? Do I just let them pitch until some day where it becomes a strike?

Should I just give up on accuracy all together?

I think you messed up by trying to do anything with the Pitchers. Your job is to put them in the game. And then Take them outta the game if they're drowning. And make it no big deal when this happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad